jake-bhardwaj

Opportunist thief burgles unlocked student home

Ipad with University of Manchester logo stolen

The Police have issued a warning for students across the Fallowfield area, after a burglary at a student house.

Thieves entered through the front door of the home on Lombard Grove between the hours for 6.30 am and 10.30 am on Saturday 16th November, stealing both an Apple iPad with Manchester Medical School and the university logo printed on its back, as well as a Samsung laptop, before leaving.  It seems that the front door of the property was left open, allowing the burglars to make both an easy entrance, and exit.

Police have warned that leaving doors and windows unlocked may lead to similar incidents over the course of the festive season. Police Constable Matthew Harvey, from West Didsbury Police Station said, “Unfortunately, the front door of the property was left ajar and an opportunist thief has struck inside.”

He went on to say that as Christmas soon approaches, “Thieves will be testing doors and windows to see if they are open.  Don’t give them an easy opportunity and ensure you keep them locked.”

In order to help the police with their investigations, Constable Harvey has also stated, “If you have been approached by anyone trying to sell electrical goods under suspicious circumstances, I would ask you to contact police.”

This incident comes after recent news that less than one in ten burglaries which took place in Greater Manchester between January and March resulted in charges being made against the thief and fewer than 2% saw the thief being jailed.

Anyone with any new information is urged to contact the police on 101 or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

Police also recommend any electrical goods be registered for free at, www.immobilise.com, which can help to return stolen electrical items to their rightful owner.

Get to know: Who is Professor Duncan Ivison?

Nancy Rothwell is stepping down – who exactly is her replacement?