jenny-sterne
23rd September 2014

Students’ Union launches workshops to teach the Skills for Change

‘Skills For Change’, a series of workshops on the art of campaigning, launches on the 30th September.

A series of workshops coordinated by the Students’ Union, ‘Skills for Change’ launches on Tuesday 30th September 2014, 6:00 pm, Club Academy at the University of Manchester Students’ Union.

The training programme is a rework of last year’s ‘Activist Academy Workshops’.

There are many sessions already planned including; An introduction to campaigning, Creative campaigning, Graphic design, Direct Action and the Women’s Campaign training event.

The Campaigns and Citizenship Officer, Conor McGurran hopes the event will be “the beginning of a more collaborative atmosphere for campaign groups.

“The aim is to equip students to campaign for change whether that is to lobby the University on an issue or raise awareness of global problems”.

The workshops present the chance to meet the whole range of Manchester Students’ Union’s campaigning societies, hear from passionate speakers and get involved.

The launch welcomes speakers from numerous successful campaigns around the country, including Sheila Coleman, spokeswoman for the Hillsborough Justice Campaign.

Many more high profile speakers are due to be announced in the run up to the event. The event will also hear from campaigners who were involved in Manchester student campaign groups last year.

In a final comment McGurran said, “whether you’re involved in a campaigning group or not, come along to find out more or pick up useful skills. Many of the events will be helpful to show students how to plan successful events, manage projects, campaign effectively and more”.

If there are any students who wish to start a campaign there is funding available and the Students’ Union can help—see http://manchesterstudentsunion.com/funds for more infomation.

To find out more about ‘Skills for Change’ as it is announced, visit manchesterstudentsunion.com/skills.

Or if you would like more information or have any ideas, email the Campaigns and Citizenship Officer at [email protected] or the Campaigns Coordinator at [email protected].

Any campaigning societies or groups who wish to have a stall at the launch should also get in contact with [email protected].

Pro-Palestinian student groups occupy Simon Building in protest against University

Manchester Leftist Action have occupied the Simon Building to protest alleged University connections with Israel, along with students from UoM Rent Strike and Youth Front for Palestine