holly_smith

Turner Prize 2014 Artists: Duncan Campbell

In the run up to the Turner Prize being announced on December 1st, The Mancunion Arts & Culture brings you introductions to the four 2014 nominees

Established in 1984, the Turner Prize is awarded each year to a contemporary artist under 50 living, working or born in Britain, who is judged to have put on the best exhibition of the last 12 months. Previous winners include Gilbert & George, Antony Gormley, Grayson Perry, Jeremy Deller and Damien Hirst. This year’s shortlist showcases artists whose work spans film (Duncan Campbell), prints (Clara Philips), video (James Richards) and live performance (Tris Vonna-Michell)

Born in 1972, Duncan Campbell is an Irish-born video artist, based in Glasgow. After studying at the University of Ulster and University of Glasgow, Campbell was awarded Bâloise Art Prize in 2008 and was one of only three artists chosen to represent Scotland at the Venice Biennale.

His conceptual art creates rituals that explore how our tribal past has determined our future. Campbell makes films about controversial figures such the Irish political activist Bernadette Devlin or the quixotic car manufacturer John DeLorean. By mixing archive footage and new material, he questions and challenges the documentary form.

Campbell has been nominated for the Turner Prize for his presentation “It For Others”, a social and historical examination of cultural imperialism and commodity which was exhibited at the Venice Biennale in 2013.

Four women who make the art world a better place

To celebrate International Women’s Day 2024, we asked our writers to tell us a bit about their favourite women artists.

Sonny Angels: The art history behind your new best friend

Sonny Angels are going viral on TikTok right now, but did you know there’s a long art historical tradition behind the adorable dolls?

The Whitworth’s Dürer Exhibition is coming to an end: Have you seen it yet?

Dürer, German’s Renaissance painter and theorist, has made a home for himself at The Whitworth. Visit profound work soon before he’s gone…

Review: FACE TO FACE at the Fête of Britain

Brian Eno’s installation FACE TO FACE at Aviva Studios invites focus and contemplation on the state of things and how we might change them.