sarah-kilcourse
23rd February 2015

Introducing sports luxe

Sarah Kilcourse on how to add a sporty edge to your wardrobe this season

As the AW15 runway shows take place across the fashion capitals of the world, it is time to draw our attention back to the here and now—SS15. The classic themes of summer bohemian and nautical were present in many a catwalk show, but sports luxe was a particular favourite. It is a trend that has been growing for a few seasons, but SS15 witnessed the sports luxe look take on classic shapes with a modern edge.

Alexander Wang showcased a multitude of sports-inspired pieces in his SS15 runway show, including neon scuba dresses, heeled trainers and sports mesh fabrics interlaced with sleek tailoring. At Topshop Unique they styled the models in scuba dresses and retro inspired cycling jumpers with flippy skirts, hot pants or trousers. Proving that the sporty trend can be styled in any way; androgynous or feminine, day or night—this is an easy look for everyone.

At the DKNY runway show, mesh fabrics breathed a youthful edge into 50s inspired midi dresses and skirts, crop tops with bomber jackets and flatform trainers amping up the show’s athletic edge. Akris made use of a retro sporting accessory, with models strutting down the runway wearing visors in an array of colours.

For students, footwear may be one of the easiest routes into the trend. Trainers have become frequent visitors to the catwalk over the last few seasons; the practical, comfortable shoe has been used as a high heel alternative and has become a favourite with street style stars. Across the high street there are various interpretations of the designer trainer at more affordable prices: Zara has a flatform style similar to DKNY’s, while River Island has most styles of trainer all at more affordable prices than their high end inspirations.

Celebrity style guide #7: Lewis Hamilton

Not everyone would look to the Formula 1 paddock for style inspiration, but luckily our editors have some insight from Lewis Hamilton to help you elevate your wardrobe

3D nails: Achieving new heights in beauty

Does the rise of 3D nail art in the wake of the ‘clean girl’ beauty era signal the resurgence of maximalism? Where did the 3D nail trend begin and where can you get your own unique set?