christopher-white-2
23rd November 2015

Interview: False Nines

“10 per cent luck, 20 per cent skill”: False Nines may not have done the maths, but their remarkable rise to prominence has been a combination of song writing prowess and bold gambles that have certainly paid off

Manchester based indie-rock band False Nines are an up-and-coming group who have gained notoriety from numerous plays on BBC 6 Music. Their sound is an infusion of each member’s unique influences, which range from Belle and Sebastian to Led Zeppelin. Active since 2013, they have quickly carved a name for themselves, making it onto 6 Music’s Marc Riley pick of 2014 list and more recently gaining well-deserved recognition from Steve Lamacq.

I met lead singer Aaron and bassist Jake in the Castle Hotel pub, where their debut single launch gig is planned to take place. The Castle is a rather cosy place which fits only 80 people. Jake joked that they chose this smaller venue to “make the audience look bigger!” Although obviously excited by their increasing reputation, both band members were modest and charming, even going as far as to pay for my drinks! And so with a drink in one hand, and a pen in the other, I learned of their unlikely rise to prominence.

False Nines is comprised of four friends: Aaron, Jake, lead guitarist George, and another Jake (Jake B) on drums. Their “how they met” story is a modern tale involving Twitter and a mutual love for the same band. Jake and George had been friends for many years, playing in various different groups, when they found themselves without a singer. What better way in this social media age to find one than to tweet an advertisement to one of your favourite bands? The band Jake tweeted was Field Music, who‘s subsequent retweet garnered the attention of singer Aaron.

It all started out as a bit of fun, but a year in to honing their sound and ‘messing around’, they made a considerable splash on the music landscape due to a chance encounter with radio DJ Marc Riley. The story goes that George handed Riley a demo of ‘Call it Wrong’, and he played it on the way home in his car and took an instant liking! He called the boys up, told them he was going play their song on his 6 Music show, and sure enough, False Nines found themselves on national radio. Bassist Jake described this as the catalyst for their careers; from here, independent record label LDN signed the band and started working with them to release their first single.

Manchester is renowned for its football as much as its music, and False Nines’ name unites the two, referring to a player whose role is more than what is printed on their back, who gives more than what is expected. Appropriate, given what four lads with only day jobs and dreams have managed to achieve.

False Nines launch their single ‘Can’t Afford to Wonder’ on the Thursday 26th November at the Castle Hotel, Oldham St, Manchester.

To learn more, follow them on Twitter @False_9s, on Facebook at /FalseNines, or take a look at their website.

Live review: Scouting For Girls at Albert Hall

Scouting For Girls transport the audience to the year 2007 for a fun, nostalgic night of bangers and mash
Live review: Pale Waves at Albert Hall, Manchester

The Manchester band bring a night of pop-punk tunes to their hometown following the release of their third album Unwanted
CMAT shines as future pop-star at Manchester’s Gorilla

CMAT charmed every audience member in Gorilla, with her playful but often heart-wrenching country infused pop
Live Review: Jamie T at Victoria Warehouse

Jamie T returns to Manchester with a mediocre set but a smattering of bangers in the encore