sarah-kilcourse
2nd December 2015

The Winter Coat & Accessories Edit

“The weather will be cold, but I’m gonna be warm (ho ho) this winter” with the help of this winter fashion guide

In the past few weeks there has been a definite chill in the air—winter has descended upon us and we need to stay warm! Thankfully, the fashion world understands this predicament, and there are some beautiful coats and accessories available on the high street. Here is a rundown of some of this seasons game players, with some tips on how to make sure you’re stylishly wrapped up.

The Parka

Manchester’s staple coat thanks, in part, to the Gallagher brothers. They’re warm, hooded, and practical; a rarity in a fashion-approved coat. Even better, they come in so many different colours. Best of all is that they can take any accessory, whether its the old scarf that your Grandma knitted, or a blue fur stole. The parka is warm and weather proof, a classic winter essential.

The Mannish Coat

The name may not sound appealing, but a classically tailored men’s coat, like a pea coat or a Crombie, adds style. The elegant silhouette instantly dresses up any outfit, whilst keeping you nice and toasty. Throw on a pompom beanie and a tartan scarf for a bit of laidback lux.

Quilted Coats

A few years ago I would have shunned the thought of a puffer coat. Memories of the yellow one I had from my childhood still haunt me… However, times have changed! Now thanks to celebrities embracing brands like Moncler and Canada Goose, they have become popular on the high street too. Possibly the warmest of all the coat options; paired with some mittens you’ll be good to go.

Faux Fur

I specify faux because I love animals and, as a student, I’d be shocked if anyone’s buying real fur. A faux fur coat is fabulously whimsical but not for the faint hearted. If a full coat is too much there are so many other options—a gilet or faux fur detailing are gentler nods to the trend. Plus, scarves, hats, and gloves can all have a touch of faux fur to add some glamour to your winter looks.

Horticultured: Manchester Fashion Movement brings great clothes to the great outdoors

First Chanel’s Metiers D’Art took place in Manchester last December and now RHS Bridgewater’s Horticultured unfolded in Salford showcasing some fantastic local and sustainable brands

My favourite jeans: Student journalists share their top denim picks

Looking for the perfect jeans? Look no further! Our writers and editors share all their top tips and fave pairs

Celebrity Style Guide #8: Dua Lipa and Callum Turner

We explore the style of up-and-coming couple, musician Dua Lipa and actor Callum Turner, from their day-time outfits to their after-party looks

Glossier: Cult brand or profit machine?

Glossier were famed for their Balm Dotcom and Cloud Paint Blush, but with product prices rising during a cost-of-living crisis will their cult status last?