• Preview: University of Manchester Dance Competition 2016

tori-blakeman

Preview: University of Manchester Dance Competition 2016

Featuring 22 UK universities, the largest Northern university dance competition comes to Manchester this weekend
Photo: UoM Dance Society

With almost 3,000 likes on Facebook, over 400 members, and as previous winner of Arts and Media Society of the Year, the UoM Dance Society is one of the most popular societies at The University of Manchester.

On Saturday 27th February, the society’s 5th annual dance competition will take place in the Exchange Auditorium at Manchester Central Convention Complex. The day will consist of intense dance competition of various styles, between over 800 dancers from 22 university societies from across the UK. The competitive dance categories include Advanced and Intermediate levels of Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Street, and Contemporary, and also the exciting Wildcard category, where the universities can enter any dance routine they wish.

The competition is believed to be the second largest dance competition in the UK, falling only behind Loughborough University, which has a typical attendance of 30 universities. The University of Manchester Dance Competition 2016, also known from its hashtag #UoMDanceComp16, is easily the largest competition in the North, and due to its location, has attracted universities from England, Scotland, and Wales.

After bringing home 8 trophies from The University of Liverpool competition earlier in the semester, including first place prizes in best choreography, best dancer, and best costume, The University of Manchester dance team has never been stronger.

The competition kicks off on the 27th of February at 8:15am, and ends at approximately 7:30pm. Details regarding timings of dance categories will be posted on the UoM Dance Society Facebook page a few days prior to the event. If you would like to support your university at the competition, tickets are available on the door throughout the day, for £5. Alternatively, you can join the universities in their celebrations after the competition, at the official after party at Revolution Fallowfield from 10pm.

For more information regarding the competition and the official after party, follow UoM Dance on Twitter and Instagram, @UoMDance, or like them on Facebook at www.facebook.com/UoMDanceSociety.

In Conversation: Daniel Howell (danisnotonfire)

Head Music Editor Sarah Taylor chats to Daniel Howell about his (anti-)YouTube career and his first ever solo stand-up tour, We’re All Doomed!
The Lowry finds a long-lost twin

The Lowry finds a long-lost twin

Identical – a brand-new musical based on Erich Kästner’s novel, The Double Lottie (which was famously adapted into The Parent Trap films) – is playing at the Lowry, following its world premiere
Peaky Blinders: Take a peak inside the Camden Garrison

Peaky Blinders: The Rise is an immersive theatrical experience, based on the hit TV series, playing at the Camden Garrison – a brand-new London theatre
UoM PHD student faces backlash over research paper on masturbating to comics of young boys

A PHD student at the University of Manchester has recently come under fire and faced a severe online backlash after a research paper he wrote about masturbating to erotic comics of young boys went viral.