liam-killeen

Festival Preview: Secret Garden Party

Secret Garden Party promises to cater for all tastes, both musical and unusual
Festival Preview: Secret Garden Party

This summer the Cambridgeshire countryside will once again be host to the weird and wonderful music and art of the Secret Garden Party. Located in the small rural village of Abbots Ripton, about an hour and a half drive from London, with the theme ‘Gardeners of the Galaxy’, this year can promise to be just as bizarre as previous years where naked trampolining, mud wrestling and twerking OAPs have occurred. Secret Garden Party, in the same way that all unusual activity tastes are accounted for, covers all bases with regards camping/glamping, offering the standard two-man tent in a puddle scenario as well as ‘Boutique camping’ in Royal Safari Tents, Octopads, Tipis, Bell Tents, Lotus Tents, Vintage Showman Caravans and Yurts.

The line up for this year also caters to all musical inclinations with headliners Scottish rockers Primal Scream, Dream pop duo Air, and electronica artist Caribou. Also on the bill are indie trio Little Comets, country star Lissie, and house duo Maribou State. The festival also gives its fair share of recognition to up-and-coming artists such as folk star Billie Marten, Mercury award nominee C Duncan, and Sundara Karma.

With such an extensive line up, camping options and zany activities Secret Garden Party looks like it will live up to and even surpass previous years as it grows. Since winning Secret Productions’ Best Medium Sized Festival almost five years ago now, the festival has grown in popularity and the line up has also improved in tandem, allowing it to compete with the larger festivals. For those that want a wacky but more refined festival this year with a line-up that has both established as well as newer artists Secret Garden Party 2016 will rise to the occasion.

Madonna gets into the groove with ‘Finally Enough Love’

Owen Scott reviews the dance collection ‘Finally Enough Love’ by the Queen of Pop herself, Madonna.
Live Review: Gladys Knight at O2 Apollo

Live Review: Gladys Knight at O2 Apollo

Theatre Editor Jay Darcy reviews Gladys Knight at O2 Apollo, where she sang music from her solo career and her time with the Pips – with support from Mark Kingswood
Live Review: Diana Ross at AO Arena

Live Review: Diana Ross at AO Arena

Theatre Editor Jay Darcy reviews the Original Diva, Diana Ross, at AO Arena – where she played as part of her farewell UK Thank You Tour.
Klangstof on touring with Pixies and working with Anton Corbijn

Head Music Editor Sarah Taylor chats to Koen van de Wardt ahead of Klangstof’s appearance at Castlefield Bowl, Manchester supporting the Pixies.