Preview: This Week at HOME

Our top three picks for films showing at HOME in the upcoming week

Queen of Katwe

Making its debut as part of the BFI London Film Festival’s Black Stardom incentive, Queen of Katwe received great reception. The story explores the constant struggle of Phiona (Madina Malwanga) in the slums of Kampala, Uganda. Yet, when Robert Katende (David Oyelowo) visits the area on a mission, her life is transformed by his chess teaching. Under his supervision, Phiona matures both on and off the board. With her success in the sport, new opportunities arise and a window of possibility opens up to escape poverty. Alongside Lupita Nyong’o and the direction of Mira Nair, the film celebrates diversity at its finest. With emotive story telling at hand, the film pushes a subtle nuanced approach, whilst cementing race as something more than background noise. As Oyelowo himself says on diversity: “It is only going to happen if the demographics of the decision makers changes.”

Photo: Sixteen Films

I, Daniel Blake

At 80 years old, Ken Loach shows no signs of losing his ability to create powerful cinema that transcends the medium in a political sense. As a direct response to the government’s increasing cutting of benefits to those in need of support, I, Daniel Blake does not shy away from true realism. Scripted by Paul Laverty, the story orientates around Daniel Blake (Dave Johns), who has recently been involved in an almost fatal accident at work. With the government rejecting his benefits claims, whilst his doctors tell him that he cannot work, Daniel is stuck in a state of purgatory. What is so touching about the film is it accurately captures the social injustices of our time, alongside it being a calling of political change. If there is any film to see in this calendar year, then I, Daniel Blake is the one.

Photo: British Film Institute

American Honey

Andrea Arnold’s coming of age drama and road film explores how the life of a teenage girl called Star (Sasha Lane) is changed when she joins a travelling sales crew on the road, leaving her previous life behind. During this time she experiences plenty of parties, alcohol, and falling in love. With bold and vibrant cinematography layered over a bleak political and economic backdrop, this montage of youth, danger, and fun is certain to be a breathtaking watch.

Opinion: Every Best Picture winner of the 21st century, ranked from worst to best

With the 96th Academy Awards looming, let’s look back at this century’s winners of the big grand prize of Best Picture

Do Unto Others review: A harrowing look into the unjust world of elderly care

A dissection of the choices we make and the motives behind them, Tetsu Maeda’s film analyses the state of elderly care in Japan through a whodunit thriller

What TV show and film you should watch next based on your star sign

If you’re wondering what to watch next on your study breaks, then look no further because the Mancunion has a carefully curated list of film and TV recommendations based on your star sign

The Zone of Interest review: Unseen horrors in Glazer’s heart-stopping return to cinema

A pair of chilling performances from Christian Friedel and Sandra Hüller present idyllic domesticity along the border of Auschwitz, and in doing so reflect the banality of evil with a uniquely precise edge