elise-gallagher

Review: Rocky Horror Show

Elise Gallagher is in for a theatrical treat at The Rocky Horror Show

I feel there needs to be an important disclaimer to this review: my only experience of Richard O’Brien’s Rocky Horror Show was the song Time Warp, and I thought that was all there was to know. How wrong I was.

Something swept over Manchester on that frightful night, as we approached Manchester Opera House brightly coloured wigs dotted nearby pedestrians, every now and then until we made it to the stage door, we were in a sea of sequins, corsets, red lip stick, and suspenders.

My friend and I have been attending plays for many years, ranging from the quirky and sometimes frankly odd productions above pubs to West End musicals. So when audience members began to shout out “gang bang” and “blow job” at the night’s narrator (Charlie Condou) my friend turned white. Before we realised that this was a part of the show audience members thrung themselves on their feet to dance to the Time Warp (again) — it went against every theatre etiquette rule in the book and I loved it.

The interuptions got too much for Condou however to the point where he had to re go over his lines on stage, at one particular instance he started his whole paragraph again complete with exit and re-entrance. But I feel that’s the beauty of this show, it is fun and it is hysterical. I was absolitely exhausted when I’d left but the thrill of seeing men, top half clothed by the stereotypical office shirt and tie to slowly peer down to see their legs donned with fishnets, garter and high heels I wouldn’t even attempt to stand in.

One person I refuse not to let go without note is Kristian Lavercombe as Riff Raff. Lavercombe has performed in the Rocky Horror Show nearly a thousand times, most notably for the UK’s 40th Anniversary Tour, the New Zealand and Asian Tours, and also the recent Australian Tour – where he performed alongside the shows creator and original Riff Raff — Richard O’Brien. I still now to this day have his verse from There’s a Light Over at the Frankenstein Place  — trust me, you’ll know when it’s his verse.

Another cast member, who of course had to steal the show, was Liam Tamne as Frank N Furter arguably new to the Rocky Horror Show tour, Tamne confessed he didn’t actually know much about the show until he got the part but easily embodied the charasmatic role.

Although some have said there isn’t much of a storyline and that what there is serves as a mere vehicle for fluff and filthiness, I believe the comedic nature of the narrative is a breathe of fresh air for audiences. It is fun viewing, not strict blink and you’ll miss it. The point of the show isn’t the nature, it’s the fun of being there experiencing it all. Every song hits the right note, every cackle, heckle, and scream satisfied the audience. The song Touch-A, Touch-A, Touch Me performed by Hayley Flaherty (who plays the role of Janet brillaintly), was by far the most fun and catchy.

If you like a bit of fun, and it doesn’t have to be the kinky kind, it is impossible not enjoy this show. I’m looking for a ticket now.

Imitating the Dog’s Frankenstein review: A literally electric reimagination

Imitating the Dog creates a physical and electric reimagination of Shelley’s story, filling any pockets of confusion with drama and tension