georgia-welch

Rare painting by LS Lowry makes its Salford debut

Lowry’s 1959 Berwick-inspired painting finds its way to Manchester

Much to the delight of fans of LS Lowry, the infamous Lancashire-hailing industrial painter, one of his rarer works has recently been placed on display at the eponymous Lowry gallery in Salford, thanks to its anonymous owner lending the painting for one year.

‘On The Sands, Berwick’, painted in 1959, was originally part of the Royal Academy’s posthumous exhibition in 1976, celebrating Lowry’s resounding legacy. Since then it has remained in private ownership, until the painting previewed at the Granary Gallery in the titular seaside town of Berwick, and later made its way to Salford’s own Lowry gallery.

The painting is one of approximately 20 drawings and paintings Lowry produced of Berwick, a seaside resort he is said to have enjoyed visiting regularly between the 1930s and 1970s. It depicts a number of adults and children playing around the pavilion in the centre of the composition, with its bright, sandy backdrop providing quite the contrast to the harsher, more angular depictions of grey industrial landscapes throughout the North West that Lowry is perhaps best known for.

The aforementioned pavilion was repaired by the local council after falling into disrepair some time in the 1990s, with the Lowry connection being hailed as the motivation behind this. It now features as part of Berwick’s Lowry Trail.

Now that the painting features in Salford, large crowds can be expected, predictably those who have never seen it up close and personal before. Lowry’s huge notoriety within Manchester and its surrounding towns is undeniable, with his infamous ‘matchstick men’ style and brooding landscape paintings gaining him countless admirers and cementing his immeasurable cultural influence.

‘On The Sands, Berwick’ is just one of many of the works which created this legacy, so be sure to see it at the Lowry while you have the chance.

Sonny Angels: The art history behind your new best friend

Sonny Angels are going viral on TikTok right now, but did you know there’s a long art historical tradition behind the adorable dolls?

The Whitworth’s Dürer Exhibition is coming to an end: Have you seen it yet?

Dürer, German’s Renaissance painter and theorist, has made a home for himself at The Whitworth. Visit profound work soon before he’s gone…

Review: FACE TO FACE at the Fête of Britain

Brian Eno’s installation FACE TO FACE at Aviva Studios invites focus and contemplation on the state of things and how we might change them.