rhiannon-simmonds
2nd March 2017

Review: Killing Curtis Drake

Part of the MIFTAS season by the University of Manchester Drama Society, this play doesn’t quiet live up to expectations

Advertised as a “dark, psychological, non-linear epic”, Killing Curtis Drake was, to be frank, underwhelming. With a run time of 2 hours and 45 minutes, the show was indeed physically and emotionally exhausting, however for the wrong reasons.

The Wonder Inn is a fabulous venue, and something about the inconvenience of the place gives it an exclusive feel, but for this production everything fell on the side of overkill. The bare bones set, the fold up chairs and lighting crew sat in the corner came across as unprofessional rather than intimate, and the frequency of long, relatively impassioned monologues bemoaning the human psyche was simply frustrating. What was an original and curious plot-line was swamped by waves of conceited pseudo-intelligent text, which is a terrible shame considering the potential of the plot.

That being said, Catherine Snow does deserve credit for her consistent and clinical portrayal of Doctor Knight. In a cast of unfortunately stereotyped characters and stereotypical performances, Snow stands out as giving depth to the character and handling the reveal of a somewhat weak plot so well that it does not induce a groan. Whether it is writing or performance is unclear, but sadly George John is very one-dimensional as our protagonist Sam, although his line delivery is slightly more consistent than other performers. One very well written — or just performed — character is Philip, portrayed by Lucio Gray. A sweet-natured, honest man, he aids our protagonist Sam despite the fact that he bullied him at school. The doe-eyed Gray is beautifully innocent, delivers lines with ease and is all-round a wonderfully sympathetic character. Unfortunately, the dark, brooding antagonist he is faced with, Joseph, played by Sid Sinha, induces laughter as opposed to fear, and the clunky physical violence somewhat spoils Philip’s demise.

Although they were rather obvious, the lighting and music deserves praise for elevating a bland script with a smooth run and technically excellent lighting design. The original music, also by Lucio Gray, adds to the show immensely, and is at times the saving grace.

Overall, this should have been an excellent show that was let down by some rather key moments of weakness through acting and writing. Whilst it is of course a student show, and so standards must differ, the elements which one could forgive for being lower in a student production are excellently executed, namely the lighting and music. Sadly, this seemed more like an A-Level student performance than a university one.

Blue Beard review: Problematic and distasteful plastic feminism

Emma Rice’s new adaptation of Blue Beard uses circus tricks, smoke and mirrors to dance around the genuine issues it is trying to tackle

Rocky Horror Show review: The show that never disappoints

Be a feather-bowered spectator to the unravelling secrets of the sweet transvestites from Transexual, Transylvania.

Disney on Ice presents 100 Years of Wonder: Spine-chilling acts that will have you frozen

Disney on Ice returns to the UK, celebrating Disney’s 100th anniversary with spine-chilling acts that will have you frozen in wonder!

Dancing in a Winter Wonderland review: A fabulous celebration of the festive season

Aljaž Škorjanec and Janette Manrara’s ‘Dancing in a Winter Wonderland’ is a fabulous celebration of the winter season.