yasmin-duggal

New Mancunian music is taking inspiration from the past

Deputy Music Editor Yasmin Duggal runs through the top 5 Manchester bands you SHOULD be listening to, but might not know it yet

Here’s five new artists to watch who have been influenced by their northern cultural surroundings

It seems inadequate to limit Manchester’s musical prowess down to a few of the most successful bands this country has seen. It seems insufficient to caption the music history of the city as Liam Gallagher’s cagoule-clad swagger, or Morrissey’s rainy day lyricism. What Manchester has to answer for is a cosmic shift in British pop culture which has inspired a wealth of innovation in new artists. Manchester is aspired to; its Ian Brown attitude, its Gallagher audacity, its New Order electricity.

Here’s some of the best new music to emerge from the city this year, not only taking inspiration from the city’s roots, but immersing itself in the natural progression of Manchester alternative sounds.

1)      Cabbage

Post-punk giants Cabbage have stunned audiences this year with their explosive, unforgiving live presence and uncensored brutal honesty on the austerity enforced by a Tory government. The channelling of societal rage into ferociously satirical guitar music echoes Greater Manchester’s punk history of bands like The Buzzcocks. Their swagger and reckless bravado seems to stem from a long line of Manchester frontmen who do as they please for whoever will listen. It’s not how many are listening or where their tracks lie in the charts, it’s what they have to say.

2)      Pale Waves

This local band have already built up a cult following in Manchester and are set to make it big in the industry. Their debut single ‘There’s A Honey’ was produced by The 1975’s Matty Healy and George Daniel. That classic Mancunian alternative-ism is evident in their tracks, and they are definitely following in the footsteps of Manchester’s indie heritage. Guitar-ridden electric pop at its best, for fans of The 1975, Churches and Wolf Alice.

3)      The Blinders

Influenced by punk poets, beat writers and literature, The Blinders are on a mission to make psychedelic punk rock with a political punch. Neither mainstream nor everyone’s cup of tea, the band eschew the mainstream, and they are everything you want from a punk band. If you like eccentric live shows and don’t mind an assault on popular culture, The Blinders have it in them to transport you back to the 70s, when less bands were afraid of challenging the norm.

4)      Jordan Allen

Drawing comparisons with Jake Bugg’s bluesy vibes, Jordan Allen from Bolton is exciting fans at a local level. He has played on BBC introducing stages, and his single ‘Too Much Too Soon’ has been compared with the wise lyricism which has saturated the North West for decades. The young singer has definitely captured that Mancunian musical observation of real life.

5)      Dantevilles

This four-piece are raw, uplifting, northern indie pop. Their single ‘It Might Be Tomorrow’ was selected as Hew Stevens BBC Radio 1 Tip Of The Week, and they are intent on making fresh music with a groovy, soulful backbone. With groovy sounds and original ideas, this band are one to watch.