sophia-macpherson

Travel story: Flamenco in Andalusia, Spain

Sophia Macpherson recounts how she fell in love with Spain’s flamenco dance

There is no question that dance is an art-form, and that a dancer’s movement can be used to express a wide range of emotions. Flamenco, the dance birthed in southern Spain, is a prime example of beauty created through skillful dancing. The term ‘flamenco’ can also be associated with the musical traditions of cante (singing), toque (guitar playing), jaleo (vocals), palmas (hand-clapping) and pitos (finger-snapping) which come together with the dance to create an atmosphere of pure sensory pleasure.

Last Easter, I spent two weeks in Andalusia, where I travelled from town to town with my family. I was lucky enough to indulge in the sensory-rich settings of the flamenco houses. Flamenco houses are abundant around there and most are nothing short of amazing. However, finding an authentic and intimate setting could prove difficult, especially during peak tourist times like Easter. Experiencing this atmosphere was to me immensely emotive, and by least, completely enjoyable; it was a beautiful portrayal of what Spain has to offer culturally.

To my advantage, I had a few family friends who resided in different parts of the south of Spain and so, I was given insider tips on where to go for the real Spanish experience. This often did not only mean seeing the flamenco dancers in action but also meant that I would be thrown into the kind of place that Spanish locals would enjoy themselves. For me, travelling to and experiencing a new place means to temporarily walk in the shoes of the people who live there.

Below are five of my favourite flamenco houses that I had the pleasure of visiting during my stay in Spain. To me, these flamenco houses boast authenticity and the aura of Spain that keep people coming back for more.

La Casa del Flamenco — Seville, Spain

Le Chien Andalou — Granada, Spain

Kelipe — Malaga, Spain

Jardines de Zoraya — Granada, Spain

La Cava — Cadiz, Spain

Personally, I found that Easter in the south of Spain was the most pleasant time of year to go; plenty of sunshine in a light breezy day accompanied with quaint cool nights. Travelling-wise, prices from Manchester to towns/cities across Andalusia prove to be fairly kind to our student budgets.

Manchester to Malaga: depart on the 27th, return on the 5th or 11th (if you want to indulge and stay longer) — from £80 pp

Manchester to Granada: depart on the 26th, return on the 4th — from £90 pp

All flight details correct as of 4th of October 2017.

Mindfulness around Christmas

The joys of Christmas are not always felt by everyone. For some, this time of year can be especially hard. So, here is why its important to look after yourself, practise self-care, and have a more mindful Christmas time

Your guide to Manchester’s Christmas Markets

The Lifestyle section gives you our rundown of Manchester’s Christmas Markets, with all our festive top picks, in locations such as Piccadilly Gardens, Market Street, and St Ann’s Square

Handling a Hangover (the Scandinavian way)

A trip to Copenhagen reformed my world view on how to handle a hangover. Scandinavian girls just seem to have got it. So how do British girls get it too?

Empowerment through language: Stop putting yourself down

With Reclaim the Night in mind, the Lifestyle section has decided to unpack how the language we use to address ourselves and others has the power to change our outlook from self-doubt to self-confidence