sampigott

Pork Belly Vindaloo

A brilliant fiery curry guaranteed to please even the most ardent of spice lovers!

Ingredients

• 1 tsp each of Coriander Seeds, Cumin seeds, Black peppercorns, Cardamom pods, ground Fenugreek
  • 2 Curry leaves
  • 1 tbsp finely diced fresh ginger
  • 3 cloves of garlic finely diced
  • 1 tsp Turmeric
  • 1 tbsp each olive oil and cider vinegar
  • 500g pork belly cut into 2cm cubes
  • 2 onions
  • 1 red chilli
  • 2 green chillies
  • 1 tbsp tamarind paste
  • 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
  • Optional – 1 cinnamon stick, 4 lumps of charcoal and 4 cloves
  • 1 pack microwave rice

Method

1. Preheat oven to 170C
  2. Place an ovenproof pan onto a medium heat. Once heated add the coriander seeds, cumin seeds, peppercorns, fenugreek, curry leaves and cardamom pods. Dry toast for approximately 1 minute to release the flavours. Once toasted tip the spices into a pestle and mortar and grind to a powder. Add the garlic, vinegar, oil, turmeric and ginger to this mix and grind further.
  3. In the same pan add the pork belly and brown with a little salt. While the pork is browning slice the onions and once the meat is browned add the onions and the paste to the pan. Reduce the heat and cook for 10 minutes to cook out the ingredients in the paste.
  4. Finely chop the chillies (the three chillies used here will produce a fiery curry. Simply cut down on the number for a more gentle flavour) and add to the pan along with the tamarind paste and sugar. Place the pan into the oven for 20 minutes until the mixture has begun to almost blacken.
  5. Remove the pan from the oven and place onto a hob at a high heat. Add 300ml of water and bring to the boil. Once boiling reduce to a simmer. At this step you can add any veg that you want to add to your curry. Small cubes of potato, cauliflower and red peppers work well.
  6. This step is completely optional but if done does add a fantastic flavour as well as being pretty showy if you’re cooking for friends. Cut the cinnamon stick into 2cm sticks. Using a gas hob or any naked flame such as a lighter, take the charcoal and cinnamon stick and heat over the flame until they are smoking. Once smoking place them into a ovenproof ramekin along with the cloves and place the ramekin into the centre of the curry. Drizzle over a very small amount of olive oil so that smoke is produced from the charcoal and then seal the pan tightly with foil and place into the oven for 40 minutes or until the meat is soft.
  7. Serve with microwave rice cooked as per packet instructions.

Brunch at Santé: A slice of sun

Santé offers the perfect spot for a sunny al fresco brunch, topped off with student-budget friendly deals and a brilliantly Mediterranean inspired menu

Giving ‘Too Good To Go’ a go!

Is ‘Too Good To Go’ the sustainable, money saving app that students need to download?

Cooking a week of TikTok recipes on a student budget

Cooking inspiration can be hard to come by as a busy student, which is why I tried out a week’s worth of TikTok recipes to see if exciting meals could be achieved on a student budget

TikTok and Teatox: Why social media is sucking the joy out of food

From ‘What I Eat in a Day’ videos to fad diet trends, social media’s rampant championing of toxic diet culture needs to stop