Latest News:
Manchester Mancunion Logo

// Breaking News:

Students occupy Sam Alex AGAIN in support of UCU strikes

//Breaking: Students occupy Sam Alex AGAIN in support of UCU strikes More

// Breaking News:

UoM make face coverings mandatory on campus

//Breaking: UoM make face coverings mandatory on campus More

Photo: The Mancunion

High-street vs high-end makeup

As students, budgeting is key. Diving into my makeup bag I have selected four staple buys that will leave you looking fab and won’t leave you stressing over your bank balance. Of course, we all have a luxury splurge now and then. Luckily, there are so many affordable, quality brands such as NYX and Sleek that really give high-end makeup a run for its money.

–        Nyx pore filler vs benefit The Pore-fessional

Enlarged pores are a nuisance so when I got my hands on the Benefit Pore-fessional face primer balm (£26) I was enthralled with the silky texture that smoothed my skin instantly.

However, due to the steep price, I continued my search for something more student friendly. Then, I came across NYX Pore Filler (£11) for half the price. Offering an outstanding dupe that does exactly what it says on the bottle. It can be used alone, or underneath makeup to ensure you have a smooth, flawless base. This is closest to the Benefit product I have found, definitely a keeper!

Mancunians celebrate end of Mugabe’s reign

Gloss is back. Finally, the craze for matte finish lips might just be over.  So, on my hunt for the shiniest, glitteriest gloss I could find, Kikos 3D hydro lipgloss (£7.90) struck me immediately. This lustrous gloss with a sparkly finish is encased in a heavy bottle and boasts a luxurious wand. This product can be compared to the likes of Huda beauty and her lip strobes, as well as Jouers lip toppers (£15).

–        Sleek Cleopatras kiss highlighter palette vs high end highlighters

You own a highlighter right? I mean we all do nowadays. From Anastasia Beverly Hills palettes, to Huda Beauty, these are undisputedly the best holographic, pigmented highlighters out there. However, we don’t all have a ballers budget to get our glow on. Therefore, I was so excited to have been given the Sleek Cleopatra’s Kiss palette (£9.99) a year ago for my birthday and I am an official convert. There are two cream highlighters; one in a silvery gold, the other a subtle bronze and two powders in rose gold and gold. The colours are highly buildable and work amazingly alone, or blended together to emit a blinding sheen.

– Sleek mate lipstick red vs MACs ruby woo

It is essential that every makeup bag has a classic, bold red lipstick. MACs Ruby Woo (£16.50) is extremely popular for obvious reasons. It has a long lasting, matte finish in a highly pigmented red that suits every skin tone. However, I have found its rival and for only a fiver. Sleek, a high-street saviour, has a range of velvety, luxury feel liquid matte lipsticks. The formula is non sticky, non- drying and does not budge, even after several drinks on a night out. The stunning bright ‘rioja red’ (£4.99)  is my go to for red lipstick and I don’t think I’ll be converted to designer lipsticks any time soon.

Tags: designer, dupes, high street, makeup