nicolewootoncane

LGBTQ+ history month launches at the Students’ Union

The month will kick off with a club event ‘OUT’ at Manchester Club Academy
Photo: The Mancunion

This February sees the launch of LGBTQ+ history month at the Students’ Union.

The month offers a wide range of events available to everyone, including film screenings, discussions and coffee afternoons. The month will also see the launch of LGBTQ+ club night ‘OUT’ at Manchester Club Academy.

The national campaign is using this February to commemorate two difficult anniversaries in the community’s history.

The first is the passing of Section 28 thirty years ago, which forbade local authorities from allowing any materials that “promoted homosexuality” in schools, and the second is the fortieth anniversary of the murder of Harvey Milk. Milk was the first openly gay elected official in California, and one of the first in the United States.

The theme for the campaign is ‘Geography: Mapping the World,’ celebrating the spread of legalisation of same-sex marriage, including in Australia.

If you are interested in finding out more about LGBTQ+ history month, the LGBTQ+ Society is hosting a presentation on the 5th of February, covering what the month is about and recapping understandings and attitudes in different cultures throughout history.

The full timetable of events can be found on the society’s Facebook page or on the Students’ Union website.

Nicole Wootton-Cane

Nicole Wootton-Cane

Deputy Editor of The Mancunion

Record 159 students apply to LeadMCR

159 students have applied, breaking the record set in 2016

John Rylands Library to undergo major £7.6m transformation

The John Rylands will undergo a £7.6m revision, allowing the building to meet mid-21st century needs

University round-up: new 24/7 helpline, (nearly) oldest-ever graduate, and a rise in burglaries

Read the latest news from UK universities, featuring a new 95-year-old graduate and the rollout of a new 24/7 helpline service

Students’ Union release statement in response to “Pro-Life Society” petition

The Students’ Union Exec team has released a statement outlining their legal position in regards to the creation of and affiliation with new societies