• LGBTQ+ history month launches at the Students’ Union

nicolewootoncane

LGBTQ+ history month launches at the Students’ Union

The month will kick off with a club event ‘OUT’ at Manchester Club Academy
Photo: The Mancunion

This February sees the launch of LGBTQ+ history month at the Students’ Union.

The month offers a wide range of events available to everyone, including film screenings, discussions and coffee afternoons. The month will also see the launch of LGBTQ+ club night ‘OUT’ at Manchester Club Academy.

The national campaign is using this February to commemorate two difficult anniversaries in the community’s history.

The first is the passing of Section 28 thirty years ago, which forbade local authorities from allowing any materials that “promoted homosexuality” in schools, and the second is the fortieth anniversary of the murder of Harvey Milk. Milk was the first openly gay elected official in California, and one of the first in the United States.

The theme for the campaign is ‘Geography: Mapping the World,’ celebrating the spread of legalisation of same-sex marriage, including in Australia.

If you are interested in finding out more about LGBTQ+ history month, the LGBTQ+ Society is hosting a presentation on the 5th of February, covering what the month is about and recapping understandings and attitudes in different cultures throughout history.

The full timetable of events can be found on the society’s Facebook page or on the Students’ Union website.

Nicole Wootton-Cane

Nicole Wootton-Cane

Deputy Editor of The Mancunion

LeadMCR roles explained – Could this be you?

Looking for a post-grad job opportunity? Lead MCR is back with plenty of leadership and team opportunities to improve Manchester’s SU

SU Report: students ‘struggling’ with cost-of-living crisis

The Students’ Union cost-of-living survey indicates 66% of students feel that their wellbeing has been affected

Stagecoach works ‘magic’ to combat campus congestion

Stagecoach has announced that it will be running 55 more bus journeys per day along popular university routes after complaints of ‘congestion’ and long waiting times

University Watch: New Year edition

What’s going on in Universities around the UK? Find out here