joshsandiford

The University of Manchester makes top 20 in Good University Guide 2019

The University of Manchester has been ranked the 19th best in the country and second best in the North West of England
Photo: Bradshaw79 @Wikimedia Commons

The Times and The Sunday Times have published their 2019 Good University Guide, in which The University of Manchester has been ranked 19th best in the country and second best in the North West of England.

Lancaster University was named the most prestigious in the North-West, with Manchester Metropolitan University ranking sixth and the University of Salford coming in at ninth once again.

The University of Manchester has been placed consistently at around the top 30 for a number of years. The news that the institution will be returning to the top 20 is likely to be welcomed by staff, particularly given that the university reached its highest ever position in the 2018 Academic Ranking of World Universities table this August.

The University of Manchester has made its way back into the top 20 despite the 2018 National Student Survey placing The University of Manchester in the bottom half of the league table for student satisfaction. In addition to this, The University of Manchester only received a silver Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) award last year as opposed to the top prize of gold. The TEF assesses teaching at UK universities to help students make a more informed choice.

The Times and The Sunday Times rank institutions by looking at a range of measures, such as student satisfaction, teaching excellence and research quality among others.

The University of Manchester also rose four places to 18th in the 2019 rankings published by The Complete University Guide. The Guardian’s 2019 University Guide has The University of Manchester ranked at 34th in the country, down from 28th in 2018.

In August this year, The University of Manchester was listed as the 34th best institution in the world by the Academic Ranking of World Universities.

Josh Sandiford

Josh Sandiford

Deputy Editor