jacksedgwick

Fashion Player of the Week: Naomi Campbell

It is sometimes said that those who have been in the field the longest have the most to offer, and that could certainly be argued to be true for veteran supermodel Naomi Campbell
Naomi Campbell. Photo: Georges Biard @Wikimedia Commons

It is sometimes said that those who have been in the field the longest have the most to offer, and that could certainly be argued to be true for veteran supermodel Naomi Campbell. Her years of catwalk shows and public exposure have given her confidence and influence with which she has done extraordinary things. Particularly noteworthy this year were her runway show in support of #TimesUp, and the tangible appreciation she got from GQ Magazine in September, when she was awarded Fashion Icon of the Year.

The aforementioned catwalk show was not hosted by Miss Campbell for the first time this year— she is a recurring feature of the show, but this year’s production stood out because of the tone and the political climate. This year called “Race To Equality”, the show on the illustrious French Riviera became another battleground for the debate over the treatment of women. It was associated with the #Time’sUp movement, which was launched earlier in the year in a response to allegations and evidence of sexual misconduct in the entertainment industry. Miss Campbell knew the world would be watching, and so took the opportunity for her iconic catwalk activism.

The show was successful for this obvious reason, as well as the diversity of the models, both ethnically and in terms of different standards of beauty. Winnie Harlow, a model afflicted with vitiligo — where dark skin does not fully cover the body — featured prominently amongst industry mainstays like Bella Hadid. It was also a site of cultural expression, with non western-centric dress appearing in multiple cases. Miss Campbell herself took to the catwalk in two different outfits, one being a Dolce and Gabbana pairing of an elegant black corset with a frenetic, street art inspired skirt that enveloped her lower half.

It could be said that she was a leading influence in the industry even when not creating, as she was very vocal about lending her support to Virgil Abloh of Off-White, when he became the new creative director for Louis Vuitton. Hers is a voice the industry needs, and her talent helps it thrive amid changing political climates and social norms. She has undoubtedly shaped the industry this year, and the recognition by GQ is well deserved.

Jack Sedgwick

Jack Sedgwick

I’m a first year Classics student here at Manchester, and have a passion for alternative dress and styles. My mission here is to spread this enthusiasm to our readers. I have dreams of contributing more fully to the fashion industry. I also love tattoos, horror and live music. Follow my insta for alternative styles @: S3dgwick

The history of rave fashion: What to expect from Manchester

Excited to go out in Manchester? Gear up and find out what everyone’s wearing on the rave scene today
Creative to Con Artist: An insight into concert merchandise

An insight into the creative history of concert merchandise and how current artists are exploiting their fans through the sale of fast fashion with a lacks of creativeness
Beauty is Pain … And Money: Cosmetic money saving tips

Read for tips on saving money on cosmetics, finding the best deals, and how to make your favourite product last a little bit longer
Since when was ginger ‘in’?

Since when was ginger ‘in’?

Since when was red hair in? Read our beauty article to find out why red hair is trending in the celebrity world and what it means for the real gingers of the world