gurnaikjohal

Review: ‘I can handle university’ by Rachael Alexander

‘I Can Handle University’ is a pocket-sized self help guide designed to help new students
Photo: Gurnaik Johal

This pocket-sized book is a handy guide to doing university the right way. With a special focus on wellbeing, making the most of opportunities and having fun, I Can Handle University takes a holistic approach to student life.

Starting with Freshers Week and ending midway through first year, the book is a useful helper for any freshers feeling a little out of their depth at university. But with lots of succinct tips covering accommodation, friendships and lectures, this small book might prove useful to students still feeling a little out of their depth after first year.

With sections for the reader to fill in, it’s less a self-help book than a book of self-improvements. I Can Handle University wants to prompt readers to come to their own conclusions. Written in a conversational way, it’s a breeze to read and is filled with photos, quotes, and illustrations.

For students struggling to deal with moving away from home, leaving behind their support networks and attempting form new ones, Alexander sets out a step-by-step guide for a seamless transition. From dealing with issues like lack of sleep and anxiety to helping readers to implement positive attitudes, I Can Handle University navigates both the positives and negatives of moving to a new place.

As a so-called ‘journable’, a book that you are invited to write in, Alexander tailors each lesson to a specific reader. For example “if you are feeling overwhelmed with all the demands upon you make a list of everything that you feel burdened with” is followed, on the next page by “Now identify a demand from the previous page and ask yourself if you are expecting perfection from yourself. It is important to have reasonable expectations of yourself.”

This is the way that the book continues to work, it helps you address your problems, then encourages you to move past them in realistic and achievable ways.

Alexander’s book is available through her website.

Poetic Prizes: The Forward Prizes takes on the North

After relocating to Manchester’s Contract Theatre, the Mancunion attends the prestigious Forward Prizes for a night of awe and bereavement

Book references in Taylor Swift’s songs: Lyrical masterpieces

Taylor Swift has dominated the music industry for over ten years. She has ten original award-winning studio albums, with her most recent one, Midnights, breaking Spotify records. Swift’s love of books is no secret, especially when considering the many books she has recommended over the years. This includes Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney, recently […]

Review: The Leviathan

Witchcraft. Demonic possession. All-knowing entities. these are just a few of the themes to expect in Rosie Andrew’s explosive debut novel

A Bookmark biography: The charity that helps children read

As well as providing all the information you need to know about who Bookmark are, what they do and how you can get involved, the Mancunion interviews Bookmark’s Anna Pickles to ask about all the extra info, plus her favourite book