catrinstewart

The Font-naissance

Fallowfield’s favourite bar, The Font, is being replaced by a business as similar to its predecessor as possible. The £2 cocktails are back!
The Font-naissance
Photo: Helena Young

Just a mere month ago, beloved Fallowfield bar and café, The Font, closed its doors for what we thought was the final time.

This happened after a whole host of bars, pubs and restaurants in Fallowfield were forced to close. This was due to newly implemented council regulations on business hours.

The Font, at first, avoided closing down. But, they had to drastically reduce its drinks menu to the disappointment of many customers. Eventually, however, The Font was forced to face reality and shut down the business.

Although the Chorlton and City Centre branches remained open, things never quite felt the same.

However, a new year’s miracle has graced us with its presence on the most important news source for students in Manchester: Fallowfield Students’ Group. An elusive post hinted at a revival of our favourite £2 cocktails, great coffees and delicious and cheap food menus. The new bar is said to be as similar to The Font as possible, including the ever-popular quiz nights.

For those of us in the depths of essay despair or wading our way through mountains of revision, this news is a gleam of hope in an otherwise grey and dreary period of our lives at Manchester. It is a shame this news hasn’t come a few weeks earlier. I for one know that The Font’s unlimited tea or coffee deal would have helped me through these trying times. Alas, I will have to provide my own constant stream of hot beverages.

It may not be the same old Font as we know it, but ‘the vibes, the times and crucially the old team’ have been promised a return.

I know it is hard to contain your excitement. But for now, we must wait in suspense until Friday, when the full announcement is said to be being released.

A rundown of LeadMCR election results night

The eight new SU Exec Officers were revealed on March 7 after two weeks of campaigning, as well as the seven NUS Representatives and the winners of the Union’s LeadMCR Alternative Awards

College Roundup: US edition

Enjoying this year’s University Round-ups? Here you can have a look across the pond at some of the drama from American Colleges

Manchester researchers find majority of women experience abuse while running

Over two-thirds of women in the study had been abused while running, with 58% reporting verbal abuse

Your new Exec team: LeadMCR 2024 results

Eight Exec Officers and seven NUS reps have been elected for LeadMCR 2024/25