erinmckay

MANIFF 2019: Meeting Gorbachev

Erin McKay – Werner Herzog explores the rise and fall of the eighth and final Premier of the Soviet Union, Mikhail Sergeyevich Gorbachev.
MANIFF 2019: Meeting Gorbachev
Photo: MANIFF

In this absorbing and well-researched documentary, Werner Herzog explores the rise and fall of the eighth and final Premier of the Soviet Union, Mikhail Sergeyevich Gorbachev.

This powerful piece doesn’t just capture the work of a revolutionary leader who strove for the betterment and protection of his country, but also the beautiful life he led. The stunning orchestral soundtrack created an emotional atmosphere, combined with excerpts from his days in power that showcase a capable and progressive man who united Russia and the West over a feud that had lasted nearly a century.

The film paints Gorbachev as a man not above his own people, a man who cared deeply for his country, and in the end betrayed by his own government with their vote to disband the communist party. Werner Herzog’s magnificent portrayal of the final years of the Soviet Union, and the man who saw it to the very end, illuminates parts of history usually overlooked.

The one drawback to this experience was the fact that the English subtitles for Gorbachev’s words had been cut off at the bottom of the screen, which slightly detracted from the significance of his words. But still, overall a truly fascinating documentary for any history buff with a fascination with the Cold War period.

5/5.

The 5th Manchester Film Festival is taking place at the ODEON Great Northern from 2nd March to 10th March 2019.

Eyes Wide Shut 25 years on: A feast for the eyes, a nightmare for the mind

As part of Cultplex’s on-going Movie Church series, fans of Stanley Kubrick’s Eyes Wide Shut celebrate his beautifully nightmare-ish film 25 years on

Mothers’ Instinct review: How far will you go to protect your family?

Academy Award Winners Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain have a 1960s face-off in this eerie, twisted game of cat-and-mouse

My formative film: Sprinkles of Stardust can be seen everywhere

How Ian McKellan’s narration, Robert De Niro in drag, and Mark Strong in a matted wig makes Stardust the perfect fantasy film

Jurassic Park: T-Rexcellent or bit of a Dino-snore?

Does Jurassic Park still hold up or would Spielberg have been better off leaving the dinosaurs extinct?