anon
23rd January 2020

Accounting for Style #4: Winter coat investment means spending over budget

With Christmas parties and the aftermath of Black Friday sales, December can be a difficult month to stay within a reasonable budget…

Accounting for Style is a series at the Mancunion Fashion & Beauty section in which anonymous Manchester students track all of their fashion and beauty purchases over the period of a month. Get a glimpse into the way your peers spend their money on their style, the splurges and the savings…

Age: 20

Degree: English Literature

Degree year: 2

Yearly student maintenance loan: £6692

Rent: £130/week (£520/month)

Part time job? I have a part-time job at Hugo Boss

Monthly budget: £557

Fashion & beauty spending habits: Because of my limited budget, most of which is spent on groceries and social events, I don’t regularly spend money on fashion and beauty. When I do, I look for quality over quantity because it’s really important for me to feel confident and comfortable in what I am wearing. I rarely make beauty purchases simply because I don’t wear makeup regularly.

Monthly estimated spend on fashion & beauty:

I don’t normally set myself a budget for fashion and beauty. However, I am planning to take advantage of the Black Friday and Christmas sales this month to purchase a good quality winter coat that will see me through the unforgiving Manchester winter. I plan to put away £150 from my budget for this purchase. I am looking for something costing around £100, but I’m giving myself a £50 margin. Overall, I’d like to spend £150.

3rd December: I browsed the web for Black Friday sales, looking especially for coats. I was tempted by a lot of items that weren’t what I was looking for but I managed to not buy anything. 

4th December: I was browsing some of my favourite retailers’ websites, and I spotted a beautiful cream faux fur coat in Reiss’s outlet. It was reduced from £325 to £160, a massive £165 reduction! Reiss is one of my favourite retailers, and I trust them completely because I have felt confident wearing every single thing I’ve bought from there so far. They do not normally participate in Black Friday sales, so I could not believe my luck when I saw this piece. When possible, I will always try an item on in store before I spend my money, so I went to the Reiss store on cathedral street, but I could not find the coat. So, I decided to buy the piece online! £160

6th December:  My new part time job demands that I wear formal black shoes as part of my uniform, so I went to Primark to pick up a cheap pair. I almost never shop at Primark because it is a cheap, fast fashion brand, which is reflected in the quality of its products. Nevertheless, after spending what to me was an insane amount of money on my coat, I wanted to be frugal for the rest of the month. £7

08th December: I received my coat that I’ve ordered online. It’s perfect! Warm, soft and fits like a dream.

10th December: I bought some replacement shoe insoles for my Stuart Weitzman boots. I bought my SW boots on sale in my size, but when they arrived, they were way too big for me. However, I love them to death and I cannot imagine a life without them. I have worn them basically every single day since I bought them, so I think it’s worth parting with the extra cash for the insoles. £7

12th December: Another maintenance purchase for my boots. I some bought waterproof suede spray because I was running out and it has been raining dreadfully for a week. A necessary, albeit boring, purchase. £18

21st December: Okay, I am not proud of this. Christmas was approaching, and I was tempted by the high street’s December sales, so I impulsively order some cheap H&M skirts online. I told myself that I needed some new party wear for upcoming Christmas celebrations and was tempted by H&M’s promise that they would delivery before Christmas. £23

22nd December: I impulsively booked myself an appointment to get my eyebrows threaded in preparation for Christmas parties. I also ran out of hand cream, so purchased some more from Boots. £31

26th December: My H&M order did not arrive on time, which is unsurprising based on previous experience. But because I’d already planned some festive outfits around the skirts I purchased, I went to their store to purchase a similar one. £13

31st December: My skirts finally arrived when I no longer needed them, so I took them back to the store to return them. +£23

Overall spent: £281

Fashion: £250

Beauty: £31

Overall verdict:

I have spent way above my planned budget this month, I am not proud of this and I have no excuse, other than the fact that I easily fell prey to the siren call of December sales. This means that I need to be more frugal in other aspects of my life to make up for these purchases.

Even though my winter coat cost more than what I had planned to spend, I have worn it almost every day this month. I have received so many compliments on it so I believe that I have spent my money well.

On the other hand, I am not proud of my impulsive purchases, and I must work on preventing these in the future. Above all, I want to spend less money on fast fashion as it is not only bad for my wallet but also harmful to the environment.

Does Hailey Bieber’s Rhode phone case signal the death of the handbag?

Hailey Bieber’s latest release, a phone case specially designed to fit a lip product, is just the next step in the ever-shrinking bag trend of recent years. Does this signal the handbag’s ultimate demise?

Get to know Oddmuse: Aimee Smale on doing ‘what people aren’t expecting’

London-based slow-fashion brand Oddmuse took off over lockdown on TikTok and other social media platforms – I picked founder Aimee’s brain on how to break into the fashion industry and her future vision for Oddmuse