jamesmccafferty

MANIFF 2020: Requiem for a Dream

In his 2000 adaptation of Hubert Selby Jr.’s novel, Darren Aronofsky creates a disturbing vision of isolation and addiction that remains just as today, writes James McCafferty
MANIFF 2020: Requiem for a Dream
Photo: MANIFF

In his 1978 novel Requiem for a Dream, Hubert Selby Jr. paints a desolate picture of the lives of four addicts in New York.

In his cinematic adaption, Darren Aronofsky brings the story to life in a manner which is at once visceral, disturbing, tender and heart-rending. Showing at the Manchester Film Festival as part of a collection of films turning twenty years old this year, the film feels as compelling today as it ever has.

Requiem for a Dream intertwines the stories of heroin addicts Harry Goldfarb (Jared Leto), Marion Silver (Jennifer Connelly) and Tyrone Love (Marlon Wayans) with that of Harry’s mother Sara Goldfarb (Ellen Burstyn), who develops an addiction to diet pills.

Aronofsky highlights the shared feelings of loss and isolation that drive each character to addiction and centres these similarities. In his performance as Harry, Leto’s transition from vibrant and optimistic to irritable and apathetic captures the actor at his youthful best, but it’s Burstyn as Sara who provides the film with its most poignant and powerful moments.

Owing to Aronofsky’s extensive use of fast cutting, split screen images and so-called “hip-hop montages” the film possesses a distinct visual style. Clint Mansell’s unique score literalises the metaphor of the film’s title and together they create a propulsive momentum that drives the film throughout. As the narrative progresses and the characters fall deeper into their spiral of addiction, the feeling of despair is inescapable.

5/5.

An evening at the Dune: Part Two world premiere

Prepare to return to Arrakis as Dune: Part Two held its world premiere in London, as expected it featured its A-list cast, fans, and of course, lots of sand

An evening with CULTPLEX

This weekend I paid a visit to CULTPLEX, a small cult cinema hidden above a restaurant on Manchester’s Red Bank, and this is why you should go too

The Promised Land review: Man on the moor

This rugged tale of Danish frontier settlement is also a story of struggle – against the land, entrenched hierarchies, and within oneself

Opinion: Every Best Picture winner of the 21st century, ranked from worst to best

With the 96th Academy Awards looming, let’s look back at this century’s winners of the big grand prize of Best Picture