aliceholder

Autumn trend forecast: how to style for September/October

Whilst our lockdown-induced ‘comfort over everything’ mantra still stands, we’re ready to hit the streets with this autumn’s hottest new trends, as reported by contributor Alice Holder
All of autumn’s hottest trends to try. Image: Maria J Blogs

A typical September may introduce a season’s worth of clothing that means nothing more to the average consumer than jeans instead of shorts and boots instead of Birkenstocks. This 2020 season, however, proves to differ from the norm, bringing us some stylish staples for our autumn wardrobe.

It’s true that we’ve been trapped in our rooms, thoroughly fed up of ‘glamming up’ with nowhere to go and wearing half-dressed outfits for Zoom conferences. Now, however, we’re ready to embrace ‘the new normal’, and step outside in the hottest new trends.

Whilst our new appreciation for the ‘comfort over everything’ mantra still stands (about time – thank you, lockdown), there is no doubt that the fashion market is coming back with a bang. Here are my predictions and trend forecasts for the upcoming season.

Zebra print, anyone?

View this post on Instagram

☁️🖤☁️

A post shared by Mary (@maryljean) on

Whilst it can be argued that animal print is always in fashion (now considered a staple, for most), there is no doubt that zebra print is making waves this season, both on the runway and the street.

‘It-girl’ influencers have been donning the baguette bags from the early noughties for the best part of a year now, but keep an eye out for newer, animal print versions (especially in teen-targeted trendy stores such as Subdued) this season.

How do you make animal print new and fresh, I hear you cry? Exhibit A: The fall Versace show’s take on the statement-making fabric. Their message? Treat the loud pattern as nothing special. When paired with a vibrant floral top and a houndstooth coat, the zebra print pencil skirt becomes almost an intriguing afterthought.

Whether paired with boots or MaryJane’s, this is a power dresser’s moment to play with print. Check out entrepreneur Mary Jean (@maryljean) for the modern Parisian fashionista’s ultimate style inspo when it comes to this unexpected pattern.

Primark goes online – RIP sustainable fashion

Primark has announced they’re moving online. But why? Is this really necessary for an already successful company?
Extreme beauty procedures: The Botox craze

We look into rising botox trends that move beyond the face into the strangest places imaginable, like feet and bladders! Read about the doctors who perform these treatments and the reasons people are getting.
The strange collaborations the fashion world didn’t need

Collaborations can be creative, political, or often both at the same time. But they are also a stamp of exclusivity for those who can afford them. We take a look at some of the weirdest collaborations that have been released recently, and consider if they really need to have happened
Exclusive interview: GIO-GOI x Umbro on Rihanna, rock ‘n’ roll and international recognition

GIO-GOI x Umbro has just released its latest collaborative line. We caught up with GIO-GIO co-founder Anthony Donnelly about everything GIO-GOI and what’s to come next