maisiescott
3rd February 2021

Dissecting Boy Parts by Eliza Clark

Eliza Clarke’s debut novel Boy Parts follows an anti-heroine as she navigates her photography career, personal relationships, and violent impulses
Dissecting Boy Parts by Eliza Clark
Boy Parts by Eliza Clark Photo: Maisie Scott @ The Mancunion

Content warning: sexual violence

Eliza Clark’s Boy Parts is a subversive story about the female gaze. The novel is narrated by a violent anti-heroine who stars as Clark’s “unlikeable female protagonist“.

The novel follows Irina, an arts graduate based in Newcastle. Irina’s work predominantly features explicit photos of naked men, who she scouts from the streets. However, Irina’s explicit preference is for younger men, as they are more compliant and less likely to flake.

Clark’s protagonist also holds down a bar job alongside her photography work to help keep her afloat whilst she launches her art career. The novel begins with a tense scrap between Irina and a mum of one of the teenage models at the bar.

During the conflict the mum accuses Irina of photographing her underage son. As a result, Irina explains that she photographed him because he showed her valid ID. But, Irina admits to the reader that ‘I’d scouted him on the bus and suspected he may have been in sixth form’.

Boy Parts explores deviance, taboo, and criminal behaviour. The novel occupies a genre-defying space between realism and psychological thriller. Clarke’s novel takes on the pace of a thriller as the plot develops and Irina’s violent behaviour begins to unravel.

“I think if I smile at him like this, he’ll leave. I look like I want to skin him and wear it”

Clark’s protagonist is coarse, funny, and fully aware of her pretty privilege. In an interview with i-D magazine, Eliza Clark explained that “I definitely wanted Irina to be perceived as a villain” rather than a “feminist icon”.

Irina cannot be branded as an icon. However, the construction of her as an unlikeable female character, or anti-heroine, strikes me as a feminist move. There is something innately radical in allowing women characters to be coarse and a bit bitchy.

Boy Parts shares striking similarities to Ottesa Moshfegh’s novel titled My Year of Rest and Relaxation. Irina is a shit friend to her oldest friend Flo, and she has a strained relationship with her family. Likewise, Moshfegh’s protagonist treats her longest standing friend badly, engages in substance abuse, and has an arts-based career background.

However, despite the potential for comparison with Moshfegh’s novel, Boy Parts firmly stands in its own ground. Eliza Clark’s debut novel is a talented piece of writing by a novelist who is set to be one to watch.

Blackwell’s Manchester provided this review copy. Boy Parts is available to purchase online.

Poetic Prizes: The Forward Prizes takes on the North

After relocating to Manchester’s Contract Theatre, the Mancunion attends the prestigious Forward Prizes for a night of awe and bereavement

Book references in Taylor Swift’s songs: Lyrical masterpieces

Taylor Swift has dominated the music industry for over ten years. She has ten original award-winning studio albums, with her most recent one, Midnights, breaking Spotify records. Swift’s love of books is no secret, especially when considering the many books she has recommended over the years. This includes Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney, recently […]

Review: The Leviathan

Witchcraft. Demonic possession. All-knowing entities. these are just a few of the themes to expect in Rosie Andrew’s explosive debut novel

A Bookmark biography: The charity that helps children read

As well as providing all the information you need to know about who Bookmark are, what they do and how you can get involved, the Mancunion interviews Bookmark’s Anna Pickles to ask about all the extra info, plus her favourite book