jaydarcy
23rd June 2023

Musicals of Manchester: July

Find out what musicals are coming to Manchester this July!
Musicals of Manchester: July
Photo: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Manchester has the greatest theatre scene outside of London. There are numerous theatres, and a diverse selection of theatre (plays, cabaret, etc.), but musicals are, without a doubt, the most popular form of theatre. So, here are the musicals coming to Manchester (and Salford) this June!

Strictly Ballroom

The Lowry (Lyric Theatre)

Monday June 26 – Saturday July 1

Strictly Ballroom the Musical, based on the award-winning worldwide film phenomenon, is heading out to tour the UK and Ireland!

With direction from dancer, choreographer, theatre director and Britain’s favourite TV Judge, Craig Revel Horwood, Strictly Ballroom the Musical will be will be foxtrotting around the UK from September 2020.

Bringing together a cast of over 20 world class performers, Strictly Ballroom the Musical follows arrogant, rebellious young ballroom dancer, Scott Hastings. When his radical and daring dance style see him fall out of favour with Australian Federation, he must dance with beginner, Fran. Together they find the courage to defy tradition and discover that to win, your steps don’t need to be strictly ballroom!

Featuring break-into-song numbers such as ‘Love is in the Air’, ‘Perhaps Perhaps Perhaps’ and ‘Time After Time’, as well as several wonderful new songs by internationally acclaimed artists including Sia, David Foster and Eddie Perfect. This spectacle is sure to make for an unforgettable evening under the glitter ball that will send your heart soaring and toes tapping!”

Photo: Strictly Ballroom

The Faggots and Their Friends Between Revolutions

HOME (Theatre 1)

Wednesday June 28 – Sunday July 2

“Fantasy meets liberation in this queer retelling of world history.

Step into a world where fables and myths celebrate queer community, friendship and pleasure: a manifesto for survival for the marginalised everywhere. Based on the 1977 cult book by Larry Mitchell and Ned Asta, The Faggots and Their Friends Between Revolutions is a music theatre piece that reimagines the history of the world through a queer lens. In this musical adaptation by composer Philip Venables and director Ted Huffman, the original text is taken on a kaleidoscopic journey by a cast of actors, singers and musicians. Together they conjure up a world on the brink of revolution – expect battle re-enactments crossed with cheerleading, all night raves mixed with lute songs and court dances. The result is a joyful celebration of queer experience that’s both vulnerable and provocative. A space where deeply personal stories are shared and soothed through community. Radical and playful, The Faggots and Their Friends Between Revolutions brings together theatre, dance and song for the ultimate anarchic bedtime story.”

Photo: Manchester International Festival

Titanic

The Lowry (Lyric Theatre)

Tuesday July 4 – Saturday 8

In the final hours of 14th April 1912 the RMS Titanic, on her maiden voyage from Southampton to New York, collided with an iceberg and ‘the unsinkable ship’ slowly sank. It was one of the most tragic disasters of the 20th Century. 1517 men, women and children lost their lives.

Based on real people aboard the most legendary ship in the world, Titanic The Musical is a stunning and stirring production focusing on the hopes, dreams and aspirations of her passengers who each boarded with stories and personal ambitions of their own. All innocently unaware of the fate awaiting them, the Third Class immigrants dream of a better life in America, the Second Class imagines they too can join the lifestyles of the rich and famous, whilst the millionaire Barons of the First Class anticipate legacies lasting forever. 

With music and lyrics by Maury Yeston and a book by Peter Stone (Woman of the Year and 1776), the pair have collectively won an Academy Award, an Emmy Award, an Olivier Award and three Tony awards. The original Broadway production of Titanic The Musical won five Tony Awards including Best Musical, Best Score and Best Book. This stunning production celebrates the 10th anniversary of its London premiere where it won sweeping critical acclaim across the board.”

Photo: Titanic the Musical

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Palace Theatre Manchester

Tuesday July 11 – Sunday 30

“Escape to a world of pure imagination with Roald Dahl’s Charlie and The Chocolate Factory – The Musical.

Based on the iconic story, this spectacular stage show follows the hit West End and Broadway productions to combine the memorable songs from the original 1970’s motion picture ( ‘The Candy Man’ and ‘Pure Imagination’) with all new numbers from the multi-award-winning songwriters of Hairspray.

When Charlie Bucket finds one of the five golden tickets to the Wonka Chocolate Factory, Charlie and the other winners can’t wait to feast on the sweets of their dreams. But beyond the gates, they discover more than just remarkable edible delights. As they embark on an extraordinary journey through Willy Wonka’s marvellous mind, they soon learn that nobody leaves the same way that they arrived…

The weird and wonderful world of Roald Dahls’S Charlie and The Chocolate Factory – The Musical will dazzle your senses when it plays at the Palace Theatre, Manchester in July as part of its first ever UK & Ireland Tour.

Every ticket is GOLDEN, book yours today!”

Production shot

Winnie the Pooh

Opera House Manchester

Monday July 24 – Wednesday 26

“Disney’s iconic Winnie the Pooh, Christopher Robin and their best friends Piglet, Eeyore, Kanga, Roo, Rabbit, and Owl (oh… and don’t forget Tigger too!) have come to life in a beautifully crafted musical stage adaptation.

Featuring the Sherman Brothers’ classic Grammy Award-winning music with further songs by A.A. Milne, this beautiful fresh stage adaptation is told with stunning life-sized puppetry through the eyes of the characters we all know and love, in a new story from the Hundred Acre Wood.”

Production shot
Photo: Winnie the Pooh

So, there you have it – a splendid selection of marvellous musicals to choose from! Stay tuned for what’s on in August.

Jay Darcy

Jay Darcy

Theatre Editor. Instagram & Twitter: @jaydarcy7. Email: [email protected].