I Heart: Into The Wild

Henry David Thoreau once said, ‘Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth’. This movie is based on a true story; it follows a man named ‘Christopher McCandless’ in his search for ‘the truth’ and a life with nature.
I Heart: Into The Wild
Into The Wild

Henry David Thoreau once said, ‘Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth’. This movie is based on a true story; it follows a man named ‘Christopher McCandless’ in his search for ‘the truth’ and a life with nature. After graduating from university, Chris donates his life savings of $24,000 to Oxfam International, takes his ‘trusty’ yellow Datsun and begins his big adventure. He adopts the moniker ‘Alexander Supertramp’, and chooses to live a simple life away from the ‘empty, materialistic society of America’ (his opinion, not mine, although a bit of peace and quiet is probably high on everyone’s list after a few years at uni). Luckily, we, the viewers get to go along for the ride, from Mexico all the way north to Alaska.
  So why do I love this movie? The film is true (see the theme developing?) to the book Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer (a must-read). Sean Penn does a stellar job as director; encapsulating the mood of the movie with great cinematography and a brilliant cast. I was constantly blown away by the location shots of North America; one particular scene in which Chris is running beside wild horses really sums what I’m talking about. How Emile Hirsch (our Chris for intense and purposes) wasn’t nominated for an Oscar still baffles me today.
  Other notable performances include Hal Holbrook (who was nominated for an Oscar) who plays ‘Ron Franz’; he might even get those tears flowing in the manliest of men. Another reason to love this movie is Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam who provides the soundtrack. So what more do you want? ‘Vince Vaughn’ I hear you say? Don’t worry! He’s in it too.
  You should watch this movie because, as cheesy as it sounds, it may actually change your life. I’m not saying follow by his example, but his philosophies are challenging.

Michael Lyons

Cannes 2022: Triangle of Sadness and ridiculing the rich

Palme-d’Or-winning Triangle of Sadness is a wild, cynical satire ridiculing the rich in all possible ways.
Moon Knight: A predictable return to Marvel’s superhero formula

Oscar Isaac and Ethan Hawke shine in this disappointing first outing of one of Marvel’s most controversial characters
Review: The Kardashians

Review: The Kardashians

Keeping Up is long gone, it’s all about the Kardashian’s new show… The Kardashians! But with it only being available on Disney+, is it worth the subscription?
Resurgence of the witch: The modern feminist icon?

From Rosemary’s Baby to Midsommar, how has the figure of the witch changed in cinema and beyond?