jess-higham

Top 5: Bruces

Jess Higham counts down her Top 5 movie Bruces

Everyone has their favourite characters in film and it occurred to me the other week that mine all seem to share the name Bruce. Plus, they are all from great films, so share in my love of Bruce and give these 5 films a watch. I promise you will be converted. And might have to find a friend called Bruce.

1) Bruce Willis

Okay, so technically he is John McClane, amongst other guises, but Willis will always be my number one Bruce. Who else can fight European masterminds/nut-jobs wearing only his vest in the middle of winter? And always with a headache, no matter what film he’s in? Yippee-ky-yay.

2) Bruce Wayne

I’m talking Christian Bale Bruce Wayne here, apologies to the Batman fanatics out there, but he is my personal favourite. He has the sickest car, damn good manners for someone who battles evil at night, and Michael Caine as his butler. If that doesn’t sound heavenly to you, maybe you need to see a doctor.

3) Bruce Bogtrotter

If you don’t remember this kid, dust off your VHS player and watch Matilda. He’s the fat kid with the chocolate cake. Remember him now? He deserves to be on this list for his pure determination about eating that cake – “You can do it Bruce!” The name Bruce was obviously ingrained into my psyche at an early age.

4) Bruce Almighty

He’s got the power. And he got it from Morgan Freeman. He got it from Morgan Freeman as God. Need I say more?

5) Bruce Banner

So, he hasn’t got the best control over his anger. Or the best wardrobe. Or the best skin colour, though I guess it worked for Kermit. Okay, he doesn’t have much going for him, but as far as Bruce’s go he should be here. He could probably give Wayne a run for his money.

Interview with Luke Davies from Polari

The Mancunion spoke with Luke Davies head of Polari, a queer production company based in Manchester about Queer representation, the art of filmmaking, and untold stories.

Shazam! Fury of the Gods review: Superhero sequel gets sidetracked

Shazam! Fury of the Gods is a feel-good film which falls short of its forerunner

The Untold Stories of Black Women: A Thousand and One Review

A. V. Rockwell shows the importance of supporting Black women in Sundance Prize winning feature debut: A Thousand and One

Evil Dead Rise review: Mommy’s with the maggots now

Sam Raimi updates the Evil Dead franchise with the gruesomely amazing Evil Dead Rise. From its effects, to makeup and its in-the-moment plot, this film will keep you immersed.