elizabeth-harper

The Top Trends of A/W 2012

Elizabeth Harper outlines the styles set to dominate this year’s Autumn/Winter fashion season

The catwalk shows for Autumn/Winter 2012 have provided us with an eclectic mix of looks and trends to suit any style, preference or mood.  Here we have a break down of some of our favourite showcased trends which we predict will become major players on the high street:

Baroque is all about using rich colours and textures in order to create an opulent, bold look with a distinct feel of heritage and grandeur. Its feature on the catwalks coincides with the cinematic release of Joe Wright’s Anna Karenina, whose nineteenth century Russian courtly atelier is an excellent embodiment of the Baroque look. It can be accentuated through strategic accessories; cuffs are back this season, this time embellished with jewels and studs in order to add a sense of luxury. In addition, heirloom-esque jewellery such as rings, necklaces and hair accessories were seen on the models at Dolce and Gabbana. Grown-up and glamourous, Baroque relies on an acute attention to detail.

Surrealism was a big talking point on the catwalks of Diane Von Furstenberg and Mary Katrantzou. Furstenberg’s use of bodily features was relatively subtle, with its strong, basic colour scheme reminiscent of pop art. The most notable examples were a body con dress covered with repeated clashing monochrome arms and hands, as well as a black patent leather bag furnished with a pair of gold lips. Katrantzou, more renowned for her overwhelmingly colourful and exciting graphics rather than her subtlety, also kept things bright and repetitive. However, her kaleidoscopic maze print meant that any accessories were rendered null and inappropriate, while make up also remained minimal. Confidence is a must if this look is to be pulled off well; in terms of surrealism, it’s all or nothing.

One of the most wearable and adoptable trends was Gothic Romance. This actually has a number of sub-trends within it, making it adaptable to your sartorial desires and needs. We are normally accustomed to seeing florals in the spring collections, yet this season they have been taken into winter. Unlike their soft and delicate spring counterparts, these winter florals are imbued on dark, bold backgrounds, with Alexander McQueen going one step further in making them 3D. In addition to this gothic shift for florals, we can see that designers have toughened the look further by teaming and layering them with various degrees of soft leather and lace. Contrasting with what we have seen of the vamped-up florals, the use of leather has been toned down considerably, casting aside the memories of Louis Vuitton’s seemingly dominatrix approach to the material. Although leather is now more demure, it is no less chic. It is merely softer and more lady like, but maintains the sleek rebelliousness that only leather can provide.

Winter floral+leather+lace= Gothic at McQueen: photo by GoRunway

Obviously, as with all other seasons, it is each to their own; the floor is yours to ultimately decide what to put on your back. These trends stand out to us due to their element of durability. Whilst Oriental and space themes were prominent in some of the shows, the likes of  which are inevitably going to filter down to Topshop and River Island et al, it is unlikely that they are trends that will stick for very long after the end of January. My advice would be to invest in the staple pieces. This will keep you feeling up to date without committing your entire student loan to your wardrobe. Most importantly, it will be money well spent as these staples stay relevant for many seasons to come.

Elizabeth Harper

Elizabeth Harper

Fashion Editor

Horticultured: Manchester Fashion Movement brings great clothes to the great outdoors

First Chanel’s Metiers D’Art took place in Manchester last December and now RHS Bridgewater’s Horticultured unfolded in Salford showcasing some fantastic local and sustainable brands

My favourite jeans: Student journalists share their top denim picks

Looking for the perfect jeans? Look no further! Our writers and editors share all their top tips and fave pairs

Celebrity Style Guide #8: Dua Lipa and Callum Turner

We explore the style of up-and-coming couple, musician Dua Lipa and actor Callum Turner, from their day-time outfits to their after-party looks

Glossier: Cult brand or profit machine?

Glossier were famed for their Balm Dotcom and Cloud Paint Blush, but with product prices rising during a cost-of-living crisis will their cult status last?