jake-pummintr

Top 5 London Fashion Week Collections (so far…)

At the end of London Fashion Week Day 3, I present the Top 5 Sartorial Highlights from the catwalks…

1. Julien Macdonald – Kicking off the fashion festivities on Old Burlington Street, Julien Macdonald’s show brought an abundance of glamour to the menswear tailoring district of

Photo: Vogue.com

Photo: Vogue.com

Photo: Vogue.com

Photo: Vogue.com

Savile Row. The show offered a stark juxtaposition between the severe cropped hairstyles of the models with the fluid and sexual lines of the illusionary gowns.

2. Matthew Williamson – This year marks the 15TH Anniversary of the brand so it is only fitting that the collection celebrates all that it is known best for today. Williamson claimed that, “opposites work together,” which is evident from the trademark contrasting use of azure blue with vibrant pink alongside the dip-dye approaches on classic single-breasted blazers.

3. J JS Lee – A modernist take on classic Womenswear tailoring, the collection exhibited this exactly with the blending of boyfriend-fit blazers styled with constructed and rectangular bottoms. The monochrome palette was interrupted with splashes of zesty green hues to again add to the contemporary edge. Overtly modern whilst also classically feminine.

4. Markus Lupfer – This collection exuberates that throw-on appeal which can essentially make or break a LFW show. Mint and metallic hues are accompanied by textured python prints on jersey classics. The pieces are unbelievably easy to wear without traversing into the realms of being boring; be sure to familiarise yourself with the collection!

5.DAKS – Sheila McKain-Waid began the catwalk show with a number of ethereal dresses in shades of brilliant white however, introduced subtle moments of colour to then eventually take the collection in a more dramatic direction of black tailored shirts and shorts. Despite the variety offered by the collection, it was held together with the feminine silk-blended materials.

Jake Pummintr

Jake Pummintr

Second year student of English Literature and Spanish at the University of Manchester. One of two Fashion Editors of The Mancunion this academic year.

Horticultured: Manchester Fashion Movement brings great clothes to the great outdoors

First Chanel’s Metiers D’Art took place in Manchester last December and now RHS Bridgewater’s Horticultured unfolded in Salford showcasing some fantastic local and sustainable brands

My favourite jeans: Student journalists share their top denim picks

Looking for the perfect jeans? Look no further! Our writers and editors share all their top tips and fave pairs

Celebrity Style Guide #8: Dua Lipa and Callum Turner

We explore the style of up-and-coming couple, musician Dua Lipa and actor Callum Turner, from their day-time outfits to their after-party looks

Glossier: Cult brand or profit machine?

Glossier were famed for their Balm Dotcom and Cloud Paint Blush, but with product prices rising during a cost-of-living crisis will their cult status last?