joshua-brown

Top 5: Films that make men cry

A count down of the most tear-jerking films for men

5) Twilight (every minute of every one): I have to confess I have never sat through longer than seven seconds of any of the Twilight films, I don’t even know how many there are. Seven seconds is more than enough to conclude that any man who has sat through a Twilight film would be reduced to uncontrollable tears.

4) Saving Private Ryan: This is the curveball of the five because it’s a compelling all-action World War II blockbuster, not your traditional tearjerker. But, a combination of Spielberg’s enthralling opening scene at Normandy, along with the heroic deaths of many comrades-in-arms, results in an overwhelming emotional experience.

3) Green Mile: Tom Hanks’ wonderful performance as the inspirational prison guard will leave his male viewers weeping uncontrollably. This is a film with great character development mixed with a compelling story; add in an array of fantastic performances, and the result, a perfect cocktail to shed a tear.

2) One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest: A simply wonderful and engrossing film with an ending that will cause even the toughest of lads to reach for the Kleenex. The ray of sunlight that emerges from such a dark and depressing ending only intensifies the low-pitched sobbing.

1) Bambi: Describing this film as the biggest tearjerker of all time is understating the affect this seventy-year-old Disney classic has had on many men. A tale of a young deer whose mother is shot by hunters, Bambi portrayed every child’s biggest fear, and this fear can resurface at any time resulting in grown men blubbering at a cartoon.

Making sense of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl

Film discourse tell us of the sexism embedded within the Manic Pixie Dream Girl trope, but does she have real life implications on young women?
Laura Hilliard Interview: “Storytelling is a noble profession”

Cinematographer and film lecturer at the University of Salford, Laura Hilliard, talks about filmmaking, cinematography, and the barriers of the film industry
“When I say I’m a virgin, no one believes me”: The Sisterhood of Mustang

Mustang stunningly captures a notion of female unity, it is distinctive in its relevancy to contemporary feminist movements
Aftersun review: A searingly original debut

Charlotte Well’s directorial debut tackles the fallibility of the parent and the limitations of childhood perspective