zara-zubeidi
3rd October 2012

60 seconds with…Kelby McNally

Kelby McNally is Acting Associate Editor of Closer Online
60 seconds with…Kelby McNally

Tell us about your role at Closer and what it involves.

My role at Closer is the Acting Associate Editor for Closer Online. We are a small team of just two and so I work very closely with the editor to decide what makes it on to the site (and what doesn’t!)

Writing news, style, diet, health and real life stories is part of our every day routine, but we also head out on interviews and events on a weekly basis to try and secure exclusive content for Closeronline.co.uk.

Working on the diets also means that we get to work with real life women that have lost weight with us, motivating them to keep it up and letting them show off their amazing results in both the magazine and online.

Social networking is a big part of our role here too – making sure our Facebook and Twitter followers are kept up to date with the goings on!

What’s the best thing about your job?

Interviews and events are great perks to my job – I get to meet a lot of interesting people and go to events that I wouldn’t have even dreamed existed before my role here. We’re very lucky in that respect.

And the worst?

There isn’t much I don’t like about my job to be honest, but if I was to pick the worst thing, it would be that there just aren’t enough hours in the day! Keeping a website up to date daily is a tough job and so there isn’t a day that goes by that we’re not rushed off of our feet.

Do you have any advice for someone wanting to enter the magazine industry?

Experience, experience, experience! When starting off in the industry it’s all about getting the relevant experience and meeting the right people. Do as many work placements as you can and be nice to everyone! Make tea, sit in the fashion cupboard, photocopy a million magazine spreads – you might find it tedious at the time, but do it with conviction and a smile on your face and we’ll remember you! Your hard work will pay off in the end.

Visit closeronline.co.uk

A student-friendly guide to exploring Leeds

Only an hour train journey away from Manchester, Leeds is another great student city well worth a visit!
What’s on in Manchester this July?

What’s on in Manchester this July?

Check out what’s happening in Manchester this July with our guide! We’ve got club nights, culture kicks, music madness and more.
A Fresher’s Guide to: Fallowfield halls

A Fresher’s Guide to: Fallowfield halls

The Mancunion has compiled a comprehensive guide to Fallowfield Halls of Residences to help freshers pick their new home.
A student guide to Sheffield

A student guide to Sheffield

Spending the Summer in Manchester? Find out what Sheffield has to offer as part of our student-friendly travel guide