aimee-grant-cumberbatch

The Night-Wear Before Christmas

Aimée Grant Cumberbatch explains why winter’s big chill means big thrill for your wardrobe.

As the nights draw in and there’s more grey than day, it’s easy to let your wardrobe become bleaker than midwinter itself. Many will find themselves thinking wishfully of long-gone summer days, not to mention summer dresses, that now seem a remote fantasy in the arctic tundra that is frost-bitten Manchester. However, as the festive season rushes towards us like a glitzy red, green and gold tidal wave, now is certainly not the time to to get SAD (sartorial affective disorder). Instead grab your black opaques and embrace the night and your winter wardrobe by espousing some of AW12/13’s favourite evening/party-wear trends. On the catwalk the frivolous pastel chiffons of SS12 were given a gothic revamp in sumptuously deep plums, burgundies and forest greens. Elsewhere there was velvet, that most luxurious of fabrics, in abundance and lashings of black lace. Prints were opulent jacquards, deluxe devores and resplendent baroques. Well after all, t’is the season to be decadent… On the accessories front there were throat-adorning chokers giving a beguiling gothic edge to the ‘90s trend that’s been going on a while now. All bewitching, but how to do this look on the high street in a way that’s Wednesday Addams and not wednesday-afternoon-school-girl-rebellion-gone-wrong? Well it seems Topshop has all the right, and rather witchy, answers.

Photo: Topshop.com

This prom-style dress, £65, occupies the enigmatic space between lace and embroidery to magnificent effect, this shadowy showstopper is perfect for any party.

Photo: Topshop.com

Or if you prefer a little more colour, sport the season’s favourite hue with this lavish skirt, £28, the red velvet a subtle nod to this month’s man of the moment.

Photo: Topshop.com

These strikingly stompy ankle boots, £95, will add a kick to any outfit, not to mention keep those toes nice and toasty!

Photo: Topshop.com

Finally, this luxurious choker, £35, is just crying out to be artfully layered over a black chiffon collar. So now there’s no excuse (sartorial, anyway) to spend the night hiding away beneath the bedcovers in your onesie, tempting though it may be. Instead baroque and roll into the night and all its beguiling midnight possibilities…

Does Hailey Bieber’s Rhode phone case signal the death of the handbag?

Hailey Bieber’s latest release, a phone case specially designed to fit a lip product, is just the next step in the ever-shrinking bag trend of recent years. Does this signal the handbag’s ultimate demise?

Get to know Oddmuse: Aimee Smale on doing ‘what people aren’t expecting’

London-based slow-fashion brand Oddmuse took off over lockdown on TikTok and other social media platforms – I picked founder Aimee’s brain on how to break into the fashion industry and her future vision for Oddmuse