george-bailey

5 songs in the field of: Christmas

George Bailey runs through five of his favourite Christmas tracks, new and old

2000 Miles – The Pretenders

A yuletide number that really warms the cockles of your heart, while at the same time making The Proclaimers’ ‘500 miles’ look less of a trek and more of a brief walk to the shops. I wouldn’t recommend walking 2000 miles for your loved ones though, Christmas or not, unless you want heavily-blistered feet.

Christmas Time (Don’t Let the Bells End) – The Darkness 

Truly a modern-day holiday classic. It’s got everything: joyous lyrics, a catchy chorus, a children’s choir, and a bona fide, kick-ass… err, guitar solo. Now that’s how you write a christmas song. Justin Hawkins’ falsetto is so damn good you could listen to this tongue-in-cheek tune all year round.

Peace on Earth/Little Drummer Boy – David Bowie & Bing Crosby

A wonderful song by the great Bing Crosby and post-Ziggy Bowie. Listen to it once and you’ll be “pa-rum-pum-pum-pum”-ing all the way to Christmas day. Just spare yourself the horror and avoid the cringe-worthy video, where Bowie asks Bing if he’s “the new butler”. Talk about respecting your elders.

Fairytale of New York – The Pogues

I don’t care how obvious a choice it is, it just isn’t Christmas without hearing Shane MacGowan’s Irish slur about alcoholism and drugs. Any festive song with the words “slut”, “scumbag”, “maggot” and “happy christmas your arse” is a good one in my book. T’is indeed the season to be jolly.

Wonderful Dream (Holidays are Coming) – Melanie Thornton

Better known as “that song from the Coke advert”, it’s as big a part of christmas as watching Home Alone or unwrapping a hideous jumper from your aunt. The track itself isn’t anything spectacular, but if you can think of a song that better conjures up the giddy christmas excitement, well, I’ll buy you a coke.