daniel-davis

Top 5: Kids with attitude

Daniel Davis counts down his Top 5 behaviorally challenged kids

5. Dash (The Incredibles, 2004)

Undoubtedly the best character in one of Pixar’s most celebrated films, Dash pulls off the ‘spirited kid’ label with vigour. Super competitive and certainly a bit of a show-off, this gutsy character is well worth a place on the list.

4. Tallulah (Bugsy Malone, 1976)

Jodie Foster’s A-list breakthrough in 1976 found her picking up two BAFTAs- for Taxi Driver and Bugsy Malone. But I chose Tallulah over Iris as her feistiness is pure entertainment.

3. Mathilda (Léon: The Professional, 1994)

Any kid with ambitions of becoming a hit man (or woman) warrants the opportunity to be considered for this list, but Natalie Portman embodied the grittiness of New York counter culture as Mathilda, making her fully deserving of third place.

2. Hit-Girl (Kick-Ass, 2010)

Defined more by what she does than by what she says, Chloë Moretz’s Hit-Girl is cooler than any of us will ever be, and she’s only thirteen.

1. Sam and Suzy (Moonrise Kingdom, 2012)

To be honest, I would give every spot on this list to these two if I could. Whether climbing onto church rooftops, stabbing their pursuers with scissors or, even, getting struck by lightning, Sam and Suzy show that they have limitless attitude. Anyone who hasn’t yet, see this film. We’ve told you enough times.

I, Daniel Blake: Loach’s masterpiece continues to be worryingly relevant

Ahead of ken Loach’s latest film, the film section looks back at his late career masterpiece ‘I, Daniel Blake’ and it’s relevancy to Tory ruled Britain

Passages review: Desire has never been so pleasureless

Passages studies sexuality and desire through a queer love triangle but forgets about the pleasure in Mubi’s latest release

Past Lives review: Celine Song delivers an outstanding debut

Celine Song’s debut film about past lovers and what could have been will mend and simultaneously break your heart

Chevalier (2022): A Noble pursuit that falls short of greatness

Chevalier, released in the UK in June 2023, strives to ascend to the heights of the greatest period dramas but falls short of that lofty ambition