daniel-davis

Top 5: Kids with attitude

Daniel Davis counts down his Top 5 behaviorally challenged kids

5. Dash (The Incredibles, 2004)

Undoubtedly the best character in one of Pixar’s most celebrated films, Dash pulls off the ‘spirited kid’ label with vigour. Super competitive and certainly a bit of a show-off, this gutsy character is well worth a place on the list.

4. Tallulah (Bugsy Malone, 1976)

Jodie Foster’s A-list breakthrough in 1976 found her picking up two BAFTAs- for Taxi Driver and Bugsy Malone. But I chose Tallulah over Iris as her feistiness is pure entertainment.

3. Mathilda (Léon: The Professional, 1994)

Any kid with ambitions of becoming a hit man (or woman) warrants the opportunity to be considered for this list, but Natalie Portman embodied the grittiness of New York counter culture as Mathilda, making her fully deserving of third place.

2. Hit-Girl (Kick-Ass, 2010)

Defined more by what she does than by what she says, Chloë Moretz’s Hit-Girl is cooler than any of us will ever be, and she’s only thirteen.

1. Sam and Suzy (Moonrise Kingdom, 2012)

To be honest, I would give every spot on this list to these two if I could. Whether climbing onto church rooftops, stabbing their pursuers with scissors or, even, getting struck by lightning, Sam and Suzy show that they have limitless attitude. Anyone who hasn’t yet, see this film. We’ve told you enough times.

Eyes Wide Shut 25 years on: A feast for the eyes, a nightmare for the mind

As part of Cultplex’s on-going Movie Church series, fans of Stanley Kubrick’s Eyes Wide Shut celebrate his beautifully nightmare-ish film 25 years on

Mothers’ Instinct review: How far will you go to protect your family?

Academy Award Winners Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain have a 1960s face-off in this eerie, twisted game of cat-and-mouse

My formative film: Sprinkles of Stardust can be seen everywhere

How Ian McKellan’s narration, Robert De Niro in drag, and Mark Strong in a matted wig makes Stardust the perfect fantasy film

Jurassic Park: T-Rexcellent or bit of a Dino-snore?

Does Jurassic Park still hold up or would Spielberg have been better off leaving the dinosaurs extinct?