daniel-davis

Top 5: Kids with attitude

Daniel Davis counts down his Top 5 behaviorally challenged kids

5. Dash (The Incredibles, 2004)

Undoubtedly the best character in one of Pixar’s most celebrated films, Dash pulls off the ‘spirited kid’ label with vigour. Super competitive and certainly a bit of a show-off, this gutsy character is well worth a place on the list.

4. Tallulah (Bugsy Malone, 1976)

Jodie Foster’s A-list breakthrough in 1976 found her picking up two BAFTAs- for Taxi Driver and Bugsy Malone. But I chose Tallulah over Iris as her feistiness is pure entertainment.

3. Mathilda (Léon: The Professional, 1994)

Any kid with ambitions of becoming a hit man (or woman) warrants the opportunity to be considered for this list, but Natalie Portman embodied the grittiness of New York counter culture as Mathilda, making her fully deserving of third place.

2. Hit-Girl (Kick-Ass, 2010)

Defined more by what she does than by what she says, Chloë Moretz’s Hit-Girl is cooler than any of us will ever be, and she’s only thirteen.

1. Sam and Suzy (Moonrise Kingdom, 2012)

To be honest, I would give every spot on this list to these two if I could. Whether climbing onto church rooftops, stabbing their pursuers with scissors or, even, getting struck by lightning, Sam and Suzy show that they have limitless attitude. Anyone who hasn’t yet, see this film. We’ve told you enough times.

The Fabelmans review: An ode to the power of the motion picture

Steven Spielberg’s semi-autobiographical film The Fabelmans is a moving tribute to the movies that made him

Babylon: Chazelle’s love letter to Hollywood

Damien Chazelle’s obsession with the glamour of Hollywood is taken to new heights in his new film Babylon.

Tár review: Power perverts art

Todd Field’s thrilling Tár is a refreshing take on the obsessed artist trope featuring a captivating performance by Cate Blanchett

Global Cinema Series: Touching Down in Japan

The Mancunion film team explore how Japanese film has captured audiences’ imagination and examines Japan as a titan of global cinema