Put a spin on it

Sean Gleeson explains how to embrace the 90s trend without looking like a bellend

You only have to take a quick walk around campus to see that a 90’s fashion revival is well and truly upon us. Whilst many are already channelling the look pretty successfully, there’s the inevitable risk we could all end up dressing not dissimilarly to the way we did aged 7. Let us not forget the 90’s was dubbed by many as the ‘era style forgot’, and although that may be open to debate, the general consensus is that when championing the look you’re safest putting a modern spin on some old school classics.

picture: urbanoutfitters.com

Flannel shirts are probably the easiest and quickest way to start adding some 90’s flavour to your wardrobe, preferably loose fitting in line with the relaxed silhouette of the era.

picture: urbanoutfitters.com

Your denim should also follow suit, with looser cuts and lighter washes (I’d suggest Levis 501’s) replacing the skinny fit that defined the noughties. If you haven’t already, it’s also probably time you invested in a few pieces of sportswear, whilst for footwear look to the likes of New Balance and Doc Marten.

picture: urbanoutfitters.com

If none of the above suggestions are getting you inspired and nostalgic, or you’re looking for extra way to embody the era, then there’s also the option of smelling like people did back then. And no, I’m not suggesting you hold off washing your latest vintage purchase; instead, pick up a bottle of CK One, the unisex fragrance of choice for the 90’s masses.

Horticultured: Manchester Fashion Movement brings great clothes to the great outdoors

First Chanel’s Metiers D’Art took place in Manchester last December and now RHS Bridgewater’s Horticultured unfolded in Salford showcasing some fantastic local and sustainable brands

My favourite jeans: Student journalists share their top denim picks

Looking for the perfect jeans? Look no further! Our writers and editors share all their top tips and fave pairs

Celebrity Style Guide #8: Dua Lipa and Callum Turner

We explore the style of up-and-coming couple, musician Dua Lipa and actor Callum Turner, from their day-time outfits to their after-party looks

Glossier: Cult brand or profit machine?

Glossier were famed for their Balm Dotcom and Cloud Paint Blush, but with product prices rising during a cost-of-living crisis will their cult status last?