The LBD and the black suit: Fashion’s timeless icons

Laura Springer profiles two timeless, iconic and unfailing trends which epitomise ‘classic fashion’

The LBD (Little Black Dress):

Photo: Sara Gambarelli @Flickr

The LBD has survived as a staple item in the wardrobe of most women since roughly the 1920s when it was designed by fashion icons Coco Chanel and Jean Patou. This classic piece has remained extremely popular and is minimally reinvented every year by different designers. The LBD was epitomised by style icon Audrey Hepburn in the classic romantic comedy, Breakfast at Tiffany’s in which Audrey accessorised it with pearls. This signature look is remembered to this day and still remains highly fashionable. The allure of the LBD is still popular today due to its extreme versatility as it can easily be dressed up or down depending on the occasion, it can be completely transformed  by the addition of different accessories. For example, many women choose the LBD for daytime business wear by teaming it with a blazer. Alternatively, with the addition of statement accessories, a pair of heels and more dramatic makeup, it is instantly converted into a look that is suitable for a night out. This classic piece should also be an integral part of any student’s wardrobe. After all, it can be worn to any event imaginable, rendering it the most worthwhile style investment you will ever make. Worn with a leather biker jacket, boots and red lipstick it can create the perfect grungy look. On the flip side, team it with a chignon and minimal accessories and you’re on your way to channelling Audrey. With such versatility and class it is highly unlikely that the LBD will ever disappear from fashion, it’s a sartorial stalwart and it’s here to stay.

The Black Suit:

Photo: konabish @Flickr

Meanwhile in men’s fashion, the classic allure of the black suit is stronger than ever. With its British origins as ‘country wear’, the suit has withstood the drastic evolution of men’s fashion over the years. It still remains a staple piece in any man’s wardrobe. Classic designers of the suit are bespoke tailors such as Savile Row, who tailor each suit individually which inevitably comes at a price. Therefore the black suit is classically associated with suave celebrities on the red carpet. It was also largely popularised by icons such as James Bond due to the air of sophistication that it effortlessly creates. Therefore unlike the LBD, the black suit is typically only worn by men for formal occasions. Nevertheless, celebrities such as Scott Disick are now transforming this classic piece and wearing it more frequently in different cuts and more flamboyant colours. This lessens the formality of the suit making it more versatile whilst simultaneously retaining the classic look.  Despite this evolution of the suit, it  remains an iconic piece of men’s fashion and is still worn formally to this present day. It is now a much more affordable outfit as many high street shops such as Topman and Burton are creating the tailored look at very reasonable prices. It appears as though the classic black suit is still going strong and is truly irreplaceable.

Decoding the phenomenon: What lies behind celebrities launching beauty brands?

Why are so many celebs leaving the spotlight and reaching into the realm of cosmetics to launch their own beauty brands?

Celebrity style guide #3: Sabrina Carpenter

If you’re looking to recreate Sabrina’s feminine, pop-star style then look no further because we have a guide just for you

On screen style report #6: Charlotte York

What would Park Avenue princess Charlotte York’s style be around the streets of the Upper East Side in 2024? Enter Ralph Lauren, Burberry, and Chanel…

Influencing goes deeper than we think

We think of influencing as simple: someone you like online tells you to buy something, and you do, like the good little consumer that you are. Maybe it’s not that straightforward