aimee-grant-cumberbatch

Charity shop challenge: the Altrincham edition

Aimee Grant Cumberbatch scours the charity shops of Manchester to see what she can buy for less than a bottle of Sainsbury’s Basics vodka

By now you’re hopefully all acquainted with the charity shops of Fallowfield, Withington and Didsbury. But if your thirst for style steals is still unsatisfied, or if you simply fancy a change of shopping scenery, why not try some of Manchester’s urban outskirts for size? Our intrepid editor Aimée Grant Cumberbatch headed to Altrincham to see if its second hand stores measured up to its city centre rivals. Here are the best buys she found for £10 and under.

Winter is making its frosty presence felt in Manchester at the moment, and there’s nothing sadder than having to hide an artfully arranged outfit under last year’s coat. However if you’re already well into your overdraft, forking out for a brand new model isn’t always an option. But charity shops are the perfect place to stock up on all things outerwear without hurting your bank balance. I spotted this gorgeous green suede number (pictured above) for exactly £10 in Altrincham’s branch of Cancer Research, not only is it real leather but its faux fur collar and cuffs make it extra toasty.

Also high up on anyone’s wish list at this time of year are cosy knits, and again charity shops are a gold mine for these kinds of garms, particularly if you’re a jazzy jumper fan. This colourful cardie came in at a saintly £3.50 from Headway.

Colourful cardie and velvet drawstring bag, Photo: Aimée Grant Cumberbatch

I also couldn’t resist this luxurious velvet drawstring bag, costing a bank-balance friendly £2. Perfect for party season.

Horticultured: Manchester Fashion Movement brings great clothes to the great outdoors

First Chanel’s Metiers D’Art took place in Manchester last December and now RHS Bridgewater’s Horticultured unfolded in Salford showcasing some fantastic local and sustainable brands

My favourite jeans: Student journalists share their top denim picks

Looking for the perfect jeans? Look no further! Our writers and editors share all their top tips and fave pairs

Celebrity Style Guide #8: Dua Lipa and Callum Turner

We explore the style of up-and-coming couple, musician Dua Lipa and actor Callum Turner, from their day-time outfits to their after-party looks

Glossier: Cult brand or profit machine?

Glossier were famed for their Balm Dotcom and Cloud Paint Blush, but with product prices rising during a cost-of-living crisis will their cult status last?