aimee-grant-cumberbatch

Charity shop challenge: the Altrincham edition

Aimee Grant Cumberbatch scours the charity shops of Manchester to see what she can buy for less than a bottle of Sainsbury’s Basics vodka

By now you’re hopefully all acquainted with the charity shops of Fallowfield, Withington and Didsbury. But if your thirst for style steals is still unsatisfied, or if you simply fancy a change of shopping scenery, why not try some of Manchester’s urban outskirts for size? Our intrepid editor Aimée Grant Cumberbatch headed to Altrincham to see if its second hand stores measured up to its city centre rivals. Here are the best buys she found for £10 and under.

Winter is making its frosty presence felt in Manchester at the moment, and there’s nothing sadder than having to hide an artfully arranged outfit under last year’s coat. However if you’re already well into your overdraft, forking out for a brand new model isn’t always an option. But charity shops are the perfect place to stock up on all things outerwear without hurting your bank balance. I spotted this gorgeous green suede number (pictured above) for exactly £10 in Altrincham’s branch of Cancer Research, not only is it real leather but its faux fur collar and cuffs make it extra toasty.

Also high up on anyone’s wish list at this time of year are cosy knits, and again charity shops are a gold mine for these kinds of garms, particularly if you’re a jazzy jumper fan. This colourful cardie came in at a saintly £3.50 from Headway.

Colourful cardie and velvet drawstring bag, Photo: Aimée Grant Cumberbatch

I also couldn’t resist this luxurious velvet drawstring bag, costing a bank-balance friendly £2. Perfect for party season.

Does Hailey Bieber’s Rhode phone case signal the death of the handbag?

Hailey Bieber’s latest release, a phone case specially designed to fit a lip product, is just the next step in the ever-shrinking bag trend of recent years. Does this signal the handbag’s ultimate demise?

Get to know Oddmuse: Aimee Smale on doing ‘what people aren’t expecting’

London-based slow-fashion brand Oddmuse took off over lockdown on TikTok and other social media platforms – I picked founder Aimee’s brain on how to break into the fashion industry and her future vision for Oddmuse