dinesh-mattu

Live: Years & Years

Years & Years certainly have a long way to go before reaching superstardom

27th February

Gorilla

5/10

How much electronic music is too much electronic music? After spending three years in Manchester I would’ve thought the trendsetters might’ve abandoned ship and found themselves a new sailboat to jump on. Incorrect. It seems as though electronic is staying firmly fixed for the foreseeable future, especially after a band such as Years & Years continue to tighten their unique grip on it.

The group have garnered critical acclaim for their ‘alternative’ take on electronic music, however if their recent live show is anything to go by it is difficult to see what’s so different about them. What Years & Years offer is a saturated poppy-sounding energy that will probably sell a healthy amount of records and will inevitably capitalise on the direction the industry is currently heading.

The familiar-sounding ‘Desire’ and their new release ‘King’ are radio-friendly, dancefloor-ready hits that encapsulate the energy and essence of the band, and go down well with the crowd (as do most of the songs). After winning BBC’s Sound of 2015 their following has strengthened quite impressively, as is evident by the sold out show and by the huge reception they receive after each and every song.

The prestige of the title has brought along with it a huge pressure which now pushes the band to follow in the footsteps of past winners including Adele, Sam Smith and Jessie J. The lead singer Olly Alexander is visibly overwhelmed by the response, however lacks no confidence in proving his worth.

His vocals are the only unique characteristic of the band, and shine on a trio of new acoustic songs midway through the set. Clearly influenced by contemporary R&B, his tones are reminiscent of an early Justin Timberlake, or the ranges of Michael Jackson on ‘Human Nature’, however the execution on a whole is a little lacklustre.

They certainly have a long way to go before reaching superstardom. However, their lead’s distinct vocals might just keep this steady ship sailing towards higher tides.