kitty-treverton-jones

How to spend your summer

It’s a little bit ridiculous how much time we get off in the summer months. Kitty Treverton Jones gives you a guide to the variety of things you can do to occupy your time

Internships
Yes, summer is a great way to enhance your future career prospects. Whether it’s two weeks or two months, there are thousands of companies that offer summer internships for students. Who knows, if they like you it could even lead to a post-uni job offer. Don’t know where to start? Head to the Careers Service in University Place, they can help you with the search as well as checking your CV and applications. Internships can be unpaid, however, so you may choose to work somewhere you can earn money once your loan stops coming in.

Festivals
A great alternative to a holiday if you have a job and can’t take more than a couple of days off work, festivals are places where it’s always summer even if it’s raining and personal hygiene is no longer a thing. If you feel like doing something different to Glastonbury/Bestival etc, try a smaller one—sometimes they’re better than the sprawling city-like festivals as well as being cheaper. Alternatively, there are so many festivals abroad that have great line-ups and better weather, such as Hideout (Croatia), Sonar (Barcelona) and Melt (Germany).

Travelling
Whether it’s a short city break, a hot-flop in the sun or full-blown backpacking, travelling is without a doubt the best way to spend your time when you’re a student. However, being a student unfortunately means you have zero money. Get your old sixth form job as a waitress/bartender/babysitter back, earn some money and book a flight. South East Asia is very popular among students as it’s a cheap place to travel in. Interrailing is also a great idea, you can get cheap flights to Europe then make your way around the continent on trains.

Volunteering
University life can be quite a selfish existence; you live by yourself for yourself with little responsibility, so sometimes it’s important to give something back to the world. Volunteering can also be a great way to combine travelling and a boost for your CV; there are so many projects you can undertake abroad in communities or for charity. Alternatively, look up volunteering projects you can do in your local community. You’ll be surprised how fulfilling it is giving something back!

Alternative to all of the above: bum around at home making the most of home-cooked meals and having your washing done for you. You worked hard this year, relax. Invest in a Netflix subscription and watch all six seasons of Breaking Bad. Again.

Kitty Treverton Jones

Kitty Treverton Jones

Lifestyle Editor

My year abroad, the visa process, and getting lost in translation

Preparing for your year abroad can feel daunting, but with a little preparation and a willingness to get things wrong at first, there’ll be plenty to look forward to

Getting involved: Volunteering at the Booth Centre

Getting involved in volunteering can help you feel more connected to Manchester and support the local community, here’s one writer’s experience

‘An audio treat’: The Mancunion’s favourite podcasts

Whether you’re looking to keep up with current affairs, celebrity gossip or even Formula 1, we’ve got you covered with our top pick of podcasts