kassi-allcock

Stuck in the Seventies

As your favourite summer trends disappear from the high street, Kassi Allcock gives you the 411 on how the seventies trend will continue through to autumn

Flared jeans, bell sleeves, and frills galore–the seventies have made a theatrical comeback in 2015, and it looks like the trend is here to stay. With Jackie Burkhart as my fashion icon (shout out to That 70s Show fans), I couldn’t be happier that the style savvy trend is making an autumnal transition. Here are a few items that you might want to consider adding to your shopping basket…

Photo: ASOS

Patchwork:

Whether it’s a suede bag or a leather coat, patchwork jazzes up any fashion piece. In particular, I am lusting after this vintage a line skirt from Milk It. With a mishmash of autumnal neutrals, this skirt screams seventies. Paired with a fringed shirt, like featured on the ASOS website, you will be acing autumn’s top trend.

Photo: ASOS

Folk Blouses:

Although slightly more summer appropriate, you could definitely rock this look well into the coming season. With a lace up top, and flaring bell sleeves, this ASOS blouse is the perfect pick. Paired with your favourite jeans, and layered with a thick scarf, you can be both warm and stylish.

Photo: Topshop

Pinafores:

This is definitely my favourite fashion trend from SS15, and I cannot wait to wear it through to the end of the year. These beauties are literally all over the high street, and are popping up in corduroy as well as denim. Styling the ultimate autumn colours, they can be found in shades ranging from deep mustard, to raging burgundy (like this one from Topshop).

Photo: Zara

Fringing:

As mentioned, fringing is a key pawn in the seventies fashion game. Adding a bit of texture to your everyday outfits will make your autumn that bit more exciting. My top tip is to invest in a heavily fringed bag, preferably in an autumnal colour. The one that I have picked out is a beautiful oxblood over-the-shoulder bag from Zara.

Photo: Missguided

Suedette A Line Skirts:

Another A line skirt has successfully landed on this hit list! Released in a variety of denim shades throughout the summer, autumn is opting for a suede slant on the style. Sporting olive green, this pick from Missguided would look fab worn with a pair of tights and some little black boots.

Does Hailey Bieber’s Rhode phone case signal the death of the handbag?

Hailey Bieber’s latest release, a phone case specially designed to fit a lip product, is just the next step in the ever-shrinking bag trend of recent years. Does this signal the handbag’s ultimate demise?

Get to know Oddmuse: Aimee Smale on doing ‘what people aren’t expecting’

London-based slow-fashion brand Oddmuse took off over lockdown on TikTok and other social media platforms – I picked founder Aimee’s brain on how to break into the fashion industry and her future vision for Oddmuse