izabella-kerr
21st October 2015

Top 5: Worst movie soundtracks

Music has a way of making some films more memorable, but sometimes it’s for the wrong reasons—here are the top five absolute worst film soundtracks

5) A Knight’s Tale

I absolutely adore this film, and I had such a crush on Heath Ledger at the teeny tiny age of six because of it. I re-watched it recently and had a great time—A Knight’s Tale is brilliant! It actually features some pretty awesome songs too, such as Queen’s ‘We Will Rock You’ and Thin Lizzy’s ‘The Boys are Back in Town.’ So why has it made the list? Because Robbie Williams. Because Robbie Williams covers Queen. It’s wrong on so many levels.

4) Grease

Grease is supposedly an indisputable classic but it only has two decent songs. For such an iconic musical to only yield a very small fraction of catchy tunes is exceedingly disappointing. I just want to listen to ‘Summer Lovin’ and ‘Greased Lightning’ and be done with it.

3) Disney’s Tarzan

I feel awful putting this. I love Disney, and Tarzan is actually a rather enjoyable film, but compared with the likes of Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, The Lion King, Mulan, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and… well, you get the picture, tonnes of catchy and fabulous films with catchy and fabulous soundtracks preceding it, Tarzan is more than a little disappointing. Featuring five original songs, all performed by Phil Collins, Tarzan’s non-diegetic soundtrack denies us the singing trees and monkeys and leopards and Mrs Potts (you all saw her cameo, don’t lie) and Clayton we were all yearning for. Also, Phil Collins? Really? How the Genesis singer was thought to be a suitable choice for a sweet li’l Disney film will always remain a mystery.

2) Titanic 

I have still not seen Titanic (Shock! Horror! Drama! Come on—chill, we all know there are films a thousand times better out there) but I’ve still managed to hear Celine Dion warble her way through ‘My Heart Will Go On’ more times than I care to remember. It’s not a romantic song. It’s shrill and cheesy and you shouldn’t like it.

1) Spiderman

Nickleback…