laura-mills

SS16 Beauty Forecast

Looking to update your makeup look just in time for spring/summer? Laura Mills brings you the rundown of what’s hot on the SS16 catwalk, featuring a blast from the past, a classic red laip, and some plain old weird lashes

The SS16 catwalk saw a host of new beauty trends cast into the spotlight. Whilst some of them are regular features for this time of year, others are a little more daring and new. Whether you’re after a makeup update or just interested in discovering what’s hot; here are next season’s beauty trends.

Blue Eye Shadow & Liner

Who’d have thought this would ever make a comeback? After dabbling with blue eye shadow back in the early 00’s, with a few hideous pictures reminding me why it’s never a good idea, I swore I’d never wear blue on my eyes again. However, making an appearance on the runway from shows such as Missoni, Marc Jacobs, Mary Katrantzou, and Chanel, it has suddenly become acceptable again. Whilst I don’t think I’ll go all guns blazing like my 7 year old self did with this trend, a subtle hint of blue liner might be rather refreshing to my usual black flick.

Oversized, Clumpy Lashes

Think oversized, wacky, clumpy, and just plain bizarre, with this trend that was featured on catwalks such as Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs, Sibling, and Jeremy Scott. Whilst I can’t see it being one to catch on for everyday wear, it wouldn’t look out of place on a fancy dress night out.

Matte Red Lip

Ah, everyone’s favourite summer colour is making a return this year, and it appeared on the lips of countless models in shows like Topshop Unique, Jenny Packham, Jason Wu, Oscar De La Renta, and Celine. This trend looks great on everyone, is super easy to rock, and will turn heads for all the right reasons (sorry clumpy lashes, I’m just not sold).

Strobing

Alongside the impressive amount of blue featured, natural beauty was also favoured in shows such as Gucci, Alexander McQueen, Versace, Isabel Marant, Balmain, and Stella McCartney. Very light makeup with a heavy emphasis on glowing skin was all the rage, with the new trend ‘strobing’ taking centre stage. Strobing involves some serious highlighting on areas such as the cheekbones, brow bone, Cupid’s bow, and down the centre of your nose. However, don’t go too heavy-handed; you don’t want to look like you’ve just got in from a good workout or a crazy night out.

Whilst some of these trends are definitely more wearable than others, there’s something for everyone to incorporate into their daily routines from the runways this year.

Decoding the phenomenon: What lies behind celebrities launching beauty brands?

Why are so many celebs leaving the spotlight and reaching into the realm of cosmetics to launch their own beauty brands?

Celebrity style guide #3: Sabrina Carpenter

If you’re looking to recreate Sabrina’s feminine, pop-star style then look no further because we have a guide just for you