jenny-sterne

Fight breaks out in SU bar during US election overnight broadcast

A fight broke out during the overnight broadcast of the US Presidential elections in the University of Manchester’s Students’ Union bar, which saw Donald Trump elected President

The overnight showing of the US Presidential election coverage in the Students’ Union bar turned violent as Clinton supporters clashed with Trump’s in the early hours of the morning.

The University of Manchester’s Students’ Union bar had to close and prematurely end their overnight broadcast at around 6:30am.

The Mancunion was made aware of the events while editors discussed the election results upstairs from the Fuse FM studios. Students had been reporting from the bar in a live link to the studio, but were asked to leave along with the rest of the attendees after the fight broke out.

Accounts from the bar suggest that the fight arose between a supposed Trump supporter and students hoping for a Clinton victory.

According to eyewitnesses punches and drinks were thrown before the Union staff asked everyone to leave and informed them that the Election would no longer be broadcast.

During the night The Mancunion reported that ‘Make America Great Again’ red caps had been spotted in the bar, with one student reportedly being told that if he shouted “build the wall” one more time they would be asked to leave.

The Students’ Union bar was open overnight to broadcast the US presidential election, which saw Donald Trump become President-elect. The bar had been packed for most of the night, with many students being turned away due to limited capacity when they arrived for the beginning of the results.

The University of Manchester’s Students’ Union have said: “At around 06:45 this morning the Union Bar was closed due to an incident. This is currently under investigation and therefore we will not be saying any more at this present time.”