shannonwinterbone

NYX: the soft matte lip cream

Shannon Winterbone talks through the perks of NYX’s cult liquid lipstick

Through the power of social media there are so many makeup brands today that are finding fame when high-profile individuals switch their products and review them for their followers. After realising that there was a gap in the market for a quality brand at a ‘drugstore’ price, Toni Ko launched NYX Cosmetics and propelled it to true cult fame. I first saw this product all over Instagram and YouTube, and immediately fell in love with one of NYX Cosmetics’ most prominent products; the Soft Matte Lip Cream.

As a cruelty-free brand, NYX Cosmetics is suitable for everyone, and the 34 colours available means that you’re sure to find something to suit your complexion! The formula is stunning and so lightweight that you’ll genuinely forget you’re wearing it. The product has a doe-foot applicator which is slightly angled to make application as easy as possible, and is also scented with a very light vanilla smell for an extra perk. Each lip cream is priced at £5.50 which, when considering the durability, amazing colour and matte finish, seems almost like a steal.

As to whether these creams are all they’re hyped up to be, I tested some darker tones (‘Dubai’ and ‘Madrid’) on a few nights out which easily lasted through until the early hours. For these darker shades, I would definitely recommend using a lip pencil as it makes the formula so much easier to apply and ensures the colour lasts for as long as possible. For example, I use the NYX Retractable Lip Liner in ‘Dark Red’ underneath ‘Madrid’; the liner makes the lip cream go on without any patchiness to be seen! I have also tested some of the lighter shades for when I’ve been out during the day for a longer period of time: I wore ‘Athens’ to the Language Ball last year and couldn’t believe how I only had to top up the colour once, even after a three-course meal!

So many aspects of these lip creams come together to make them my go-to lip colour of choice. If you’re interested in getting your hands on one of the lip creams, then you can find them in counters at Boots in the Trafford Centre and the Arndale Centre, or online with ASOS, Selfridges, Feelunique and many more!

What the Croc? Pringles x Crocs and other crazy collabs

We explore some of Crocs’ weird collaborations with brands, artists, and designers that have rocked the fashion world as of late

3D nails: Achieving new heights in beauty

Does the rise of 3D nail art in the wake of the ‘clean girl’ beauty era signal the resurgence of maximalism? Where did the 3D nail trend begin and where can you get your own unique set?

Zendaya and the art of theme dressing

Are Zendaya and stylist Law Roach the fashion worlds answer to Lennon and McCartney?