sampigott

Recipe: Chicken Ramen

Need a hand recovering from the Christmas excesses? This fantastic Ramen is perfect for a winter pick-me-up and a helping hand on the long road to recovery
Recipe: Chicken Ramen
Illustration: Freddie Hill

Ingredients

·         1 chicken breast

·         3 tbsp dark soy sauce

·         3 tbsp each of grated fresh ginger and finely chopped garlic

·         1 tsp Chinese five spice

·         ½ tbsp runny honey

·         Zest of 1 lime

·         1 pack of egg noodles, cooked as per packet instructions

·         1 lemongrass stalk

·         1 red chilli

·         ½ red onion finely sliced

·         1 spring onion

·         Vegetables of choice, for example broccoli, sugarsnaps, bok choi and beansprouts

·         1 small bunch of fresh coriander with the leaves picked off and the stalks finely chopped

·         Juice of 1 lime

·         2 tbsp sriracha sauce

Method

1.       Begin by finely slicing the chicken breast. Add 1 tbsp each of the fresh ginger and garlic, 1 tbsp of the soy sauce, the five spice, the honey and the zest of the lime into a bowl. Add the chicken to this mixture and leave to marinate for at least one hour.

2.       Preheat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, chilli, spring onion, lemongrass, coriander stalks, and the remaining garlic and ginger and fry for 5 minutes, or until the onion and spring onion begin to soften.

3.       Add the vegetables to this mixture, along with the remaining soy sauce. Fry these for approximately 2 minutes.

4.       At this stage turn the heat up to high and, once the pan has begun to heat up, add the chicken pieces. Brown the chicken pieces on each side, but only until they are white instead of pink. It is important at this stage to not overcook the chicken pieces so do this for approximately 3 minutes only.

5.       Add the stock to the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and, once simmering, add the noodles. Cook this mixture for approximately 3 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are cooked but maintain a crunch.

6.       Serve into a bowl and garnish with the chilli sauce, the juice of the lime and the coriander leaves.

Behold the Bottomless Feast at Red’s True BBQ

Get legless and stuffed, at Red’s True Barbecue’s festive Bottomless Feast with both Meat-Lover and Meat-Free platters on offer!

Soy to the World! The Vegan Christmas Markets are here

A review of the Northern Vegan Christmas Markets that brought environmentally and animal-friendly festive cheer to all visitors

Manchester’s finest festive feasts

From New Century to Escape to Freight Island, FOLK to Reds True Barbeque, we’ve got all your festive food needs covered!

Coffee shops return with a latte new festive drinks

With so many festive additions, which menus will make you frappé this Christmas?