freyapoppywild

Charity shopping: the guilt free way to shop

Inspired by this week’s focus on sustainability, Freya Poppy Wild took some time to remind myself of the joys of second hand shopping

Inspired by this week’s focus on sustainability, I took some time to remind myself of the joys of second hand shopping.

Charity shopping allows you to get a whole outfit for less than £10, while helping charities to continue their amazing work. What could be better? Yet there still seems to be some stigma attached to buying second hand clothes, which I think is ludicrous.

This week I went on a charity shop crawl around Manchester city centre and I have to say, I was delighted at what I found and how little I paid. There are so many pros to reusing and recycling old clothes as it is a sustainable and economically friendly way of giving your wardrobe a boost, and as they say — one man’s trash is another man’s treasure!

I started off at Oxfam on Oxford Road, which is just a minute’s walk from the University of Manchester campus. I was delighted to find a haul of autumnal jumpers, skirts and boots here, which makes the approaching season a whole lot more exciting.

Pictured is a Topshop jumper that I picked up for just £3 and some Clarks boots which I paid only £8 for in Oxfam. Next, I went to the RSPCA charity shop located just off Tib Street, where I found some major high street brands such as Topshop, H&M, and Urban Outfitters. The pick of the bunch was a Julian McDonald dress which would’ve cost a small fortune originally.

The dress seen in the picture is the perfect autumn piece which I got for just £5 and the accompanying bag was just £3. Finally, I went to Barnardo’s near Piccadilly, which was equally lucrative, and I left with a new bag and some lovely real silver jewellery, all for less than £10. So, I think that anyone who has yet to discover the joys of charity shopping should give it a try — you never know you might find your new favourite item of clothing for a fraction of the retail price!

Zendaya and the art of theme dressing

Are Zendaya and stylist Law Roach the fashion worlds answer to Lennon and McCartney?

Does Hailey Bieber’s Rhode phone case signal the death of the handbag?

Hailey Bieber’s latest release, a phone case specially designed to fit a lip product, is just the next step in the ever-shrinking bag trend of recent years. Does this signal the handbag’s ultimate demise?

Get to know Oddmuse: Aimee Smale on doing ‘what people aren’t expecting’

London-based slow-fashion brand Oddmuse took off over lockdown on TikTok and other social media platforms – I picked founder Aimee’s brain on how to break into the fashion industry and her future vision for Oddmuse