jasbennett

Hot Right Now: Spilt Milk Society

Jasmine Bennett gives the details on Spilt Milk Society’s return to the indie scene for this week’s Hot Right Now
Hot Right Now: Spilt Milk Society
Photo: Josie Richards

Birmingham five-piece Spilt Milk Society have been drifting more and more around the airwaves since the release of the incredibly popular ‘She Tastes Like Summer’ last July. However, the band had a swift change of membership back in April, leaving people wondering how long it would be before we heard more from this summery pop group.

Their brand new single ‘Turtleneck Boy’ is an unbelievably catchy track featuring sonic-sounding guitars and powerful choral vocals from lead singer Harry Handford. For fans of something slightly softer, older eponymous EP Spilt Milk Society features the soft-sounding ‘Over The Edge’, showing the band’s ability to master the slow song. Mood-lifter ‘She Tastes Like Summer’ is perfect for brightening up the increasingly dreary days, drawing to mind bands such as The Magic Gang and JAWS. With new releases expected in November and January, this up-and-coming band are sure to be coming up with great things.

Fat White Family’s Lias Saoudi is circling around the Post-Punk cul-de-sac

Now that Fat White family have returned with ‘Forgiveness Is Yours’, lead-singer Lias Saoudi has a lot more to say about post-punk, lyricism, and being a Londoner

Peter Bibby – Drama King: A tragic and unpredictable opus

Infusing the classic songwriting of Dylan and Springsteen with Australian wit and dive bar narratives, Peter Bibby’s latest album constantly surprises

Tenacious D live in Manchester: The metal bring the fire

Jack Black’s rock-comedy project Tenacious D stopped off in Manchester on their ‘Spicy Meatball’ tour, performing to 20,000 fans at the AO Arena

Sour Grapes Records’ ‘Meltchester’: Mancunion music community at its finest

Manchester’s own Sour Grapes Records brings Meltchester to town again at Projekts Skatepark