isobellarae

November student style: my must-haves

Need a student style refresh? Midway through the semester, Isobella Rae casts her eye over the high street to present her top picks on a student budget
November student style: my must-haves
Photo: Isobella Rae

We are now into November, the leaves are falling and frosty mornings are on the horizon. This can only mean one thing; semester one has truly begun. Perhaps you thought you were wardrobe-ready this year? Think again. Here I take a look at some of the best bargains (and perhaps a few more pricey items if your relatives are feeling generous) to get you looking as stylish and as ever this semester.

Item 1: THE THIN KNIT. At just £9.99, New Look’s ‘Black Curved Hem Jumper’ is a real staple item. Pair this with black jeans, biker boots and a black leather jacket for a simple yet sophisticated style. Thin plain knits are also perfect with a statement trouser. Perhaps pair with a snakeskin print if you’re looking to master the animal print trend of AW18.

Item 2: THE ON-TREND TRAINERS. Maybe it’s been a long time since pay day? Fear not. Primark’s ‘Black Chunky Sole Trainers’ are the affordable alternative to the Alexander McQueen trainers that are everywhere right now.

Item 3: THE CAMEL COAT. Coat collections have been stripped back this season to basic yet brilliant. Ideal both for a lecture or a society social, ZARA’s ‘Masculine Coat’ is a little more pricey at £95.99, yet so worth the money. Adaptable and long-lasting, camel coats work well when worn with the three hottest trends of AW18; animal print, checks and high shine fabrics.

Item 4: THE BIKER BOOT. Nasty Gal’s ‘Back Up Buckle Boots’ are practical yet fashionable at just £40. Faultless with jeans, leggings or even a cute mini skirt, these boots will be super useful this semester. From chunky soles to embroidered leather, the biker boot is a must-have for AW18.

Item 5: THE DUNGAREES. Dressed up or down, Boohoo’s ‘Polkadot Denim Dungarees’ are ideal with a flat trainer at tutorials or even a block heel boot for smarter occasion at only £32. Carried through from SS18 to AW18, the polka dot trend is here to stay for yet another season.

Item 6: THE CHLOE-INSPIRED CROSS BODY BAG. An absolute necessity, H&M’s £19.99 ‘Shoulder bag’ is not only ideal for that lush lunch date when your parents visit, but it’s also perfect in the evening when you’re heading out with pals. Generally, cross-body bags are becoming increasingly popular, with many of us appreciating the fashionable and practical elements they have to offer.

Item 7: THE CHUNKY KNIT. Ideal for those frosty mornings later in the semester, H&M’s ‘Polo-neck jumper‘ is a real staple with a pair of comfy side-stripe leggings and snakeskin boots at just £14.99. As the chunky knit is also becoming an increasingly trend-driven item, various styles can be found printed with cheetah or check prints.

Item 8: THE MANCHESTER NECESSITY UMBRELLA. As a student in this rainy city, you will know that you don’t step foot out the door without your umbrella. Your best friend during those long walks between lectures, Primark’s ‘Dome umbrella’ is the best £4 you will ever spend at uni.

Item 9: THE WHITE SHIRT. Versatile and smart, Topshop’s £22 ‘Long Sleeve Poplin Shirt’ is stunning both in the day with a pair of on-trend check trousers and even better at night with a boyfriend jean, leopard print heels and a red lip.

Item 10: THE FLARES. Not only comfortable to wear, but also stylishly sophisticated, Topshop’s ‘Striped Flares’, just £22, are perfect for those manic Mondays when you can’t possibly find anything to wear.

As a mix of both staple and trend-led items, this guide to the AW18 student style offers both affordability and fashionability. Happy Shopping!

Decoding the phenomenon: What lies behind celebrities launching beauty brands?

Why are so many celebs leaving the spotlight and reaching into the realm of cosmetics to launch their own beauty brands?

Celebrity style guide #3: Sabrina Carpenter

If you’re looking to recreate Sabrina’s feminine, pop-star style then look no further because we have a guide just for you